Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone.

I have been trying to determine the tensile force needed to rip a threaded tube out of its female threaded socket. After some Google searching, I found this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/thread_strength/thread_bolt_stress.htm

I used shear area, which I believed to be an "equivalent" cross-sectional area of a bolt, and multiplied by the ultimate strength of the material to calculate force necessary for failure. However, my numbers ended up being way too high.

Perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of shear area; this calculation would not work if shear area is not perpendicular to the axial force that I am trying to get. I have looked around for other ways of solving my problem, but haven't had much luck, and so decided to post here for some inspiration. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    The area you used should not be the problem, the strength is. It is much more reasonable to use Yield strength. At yield the material will be permanantly deforming. This will give you a low number but its safer this way!

4. Aug 19, 2010 #3
    If your thread length is at all generous your bolt will twist off or fail in tension before the threads shear off. You have two other checks, tension on the net area, and shear due to torque on the net area, one of these two typically governs. S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook