1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Systems Multiple Choice Thread

1. Mar 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://gpschools.schoolwires.net/cms/lib05/MI01000971/Centricity/Domain/272/Chapter 5 MC 13.pdf
    It is problem 22 on page 7 of the document:

A block of mass M1 on a horizontal table is connected to a hanging block of mass M2 by a string that passes over a pulley, as shown. The acceleration of the blocks is 0.6g. Assume that the friction and the mass of the string are negligible.
    upload_2016-3-19_18-31-27.png

22. The ratio of masses M2 / M1 is
    (A)0.67
    (B) 1.0
    (C) 1.4
    (D)1.5
    (E) 1.6

[Note: Post edited by moderator to include the problem statement content in-post]
    2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    3. The attempt at a solution

OK. I know that this is a force system, and I would draw the free body diagrams for each and write out the equations for each block and solve. So I was able to get the tension T in the string to be 0.4 M2 * g. I was also able to get a=0.6 g. My numbers so far are correct.

However, I am at a loss for finding the ratio of masses M2/M1. Could anyone help me, please? Thanks?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you have found the tension as a function of M2, substitute that value for T in your equation that you determined from your free body analysis of M1.

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    Thanks for that hint! I solved it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted