Forced oscillations and resonance (bis)

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular section of a book on mechanics and the difficulties the reader had with it. They came across a forum thread that did not answer their questions, but they were able to find the answer and share it for others who may have the same problem. The discussion includes equations and their interpretations, and ends with a correction to a statement made earlier.
giulioo
I'm studying from landau lifšits "mechanics". I had some troubles in section small oscillations-->forced oscillations, especially from eq 22.4 to eq 22.5

i searched the web and came across this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forced-oscillations-and-ressonance.488538/#post-3236442

this thread does not answer the questions i had. Now I know the answer but the thread is closed and I cannot reply. Therefore i write it here (hoping this is the correct place and that it will be helpful to someone). I'm answering question n 2) since the physical meaning of beta is (as any initial phase) just a traslation in time (question n 1) ).

first of all the general solution to equation 22.2 and 22.3 is 22.4:

$$ x=a \cos(\omega t+ \alpha) + \frac{f}{m (\omega^2-\gamma^2)} \cos (\gamma t +\beta)$$

L&L rewrites this in the form

$$ x= a' cos(\omega t + \alpha) + \frac{f}{m(\omega^2-\gamma^2)} [\cos (\gamma t +\beta)-\cos(\omega t+\beta)]$$
where
$$ a'=\frac{f}{m (\omega^2-\gamma^2)} \frac{\cos \beta}{\cos \alpha} + a $$

(note that a' is a function of ##\gamma##)
L&L does not write ##a'## but writes again ##a## (which is confusing). Now from this general solution he takes only the second addend as a particolar solution. then he takes the limit for ##\gamma \rightarrow \omega ##:
$$ \lim_{\gamma \rightarrow \omega} \frac{f}{m(\omega^2-\gamma^2)} [\cos (\gamma t +\beta)-\cos(\omega t+\beta)] = \frac{f}{2m\omega}t \sin(\omega t + \beta) $$

This is a special solution of ##\ddot{x}+\omega^2 x = f/m \cos(\omega t+\beta)## (in the limit ##\gamma \rightarrow \omega##). The general solution is the sum of a special solution plus the general solution of the homogeneus equation associated, which is just formula 22.5 :

$$x(t)= a \cos(\omega t+ \alpha) + \frac{f}{2m\omega}t \sin(\omega t + \beta) $$

remark: in this formula ##a## is the same as eq 22.4 (is a constant and is not ##a'##).

Hope someone will get benefit from this as i would have had yesterday ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry my bad, at line "This is a special solution..." i meant ##\ddot x+ \omega ^2 x =f/m \cos(\gamma t+\beta)## instead of ##\ddot x+ \omega ^2 x =f/m \cos(\omega t+\beta)##.

1. What is the difference between forced oscillations and resonance?

Forced oscillations occur when a system is subjected to an external force, causing it to oscillate at a specific frequency. Resonance, on the other hand, occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system, resulting in a significant increase in amplitude.

2. How does resonance affect the behavior of a system?

Resonance can cause a system to oscillate with a larger amplitude than the applied force, which can lead to excessive vibrations, damage, or failure of the system. In some cases, resonance can also cause the system to absorb more energy than it can handle, resulting in overheating or other undesirable effects.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a system?

The natural frequency of a system is determined by its physical properties, such as mass, stiffness, and damping. The larger the mass or stiffness of the system, the lower the natural frequency will be. Additionally, higher levels of damping will decrease the natural frequency.

4. How can forced oscillations and resonance be controlled?

Forced oscillations and resonance can be controlled by changing the external force or altering the natural frequency of the system. This can be achieved through methods such as adding dampers or changing the stiffness of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of forced oscillations and resonance?

Forced oscillations and resonance can be observed in a variety of systems, such as musical instruments, bridges, and buildings. They are also important in the fields of engineering, where they are used to design and control structures and machines. Additionally, forced oscillations and resonance are essential in technologies such as ultrasound, sonar, and radio communication.