1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillations and resonance (bis)

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    I'm studying from landau lifšits "mechanics". I had some troubles in section small oscillations-->forced oscillations, especially from eq 22.4 to eq 22.5

i searched the web and came across this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/forced-oscillations-and-ressonance.488538/#post-3236442

this thread does not answer the questions i had. Now I know the answer but the thread is closed and I cannot reply. Therefore i write it here (hoping this is the correct place and that it will be helpful to someone). I'm answering question n 2) since the physical meaning of beta is (as any initial phase) just a traslation in time (question n 1) ).

first of all the general solution to equation 22.2 and 22.3 is 22.4:

$$ x=a \cos(\omega t+ \alpha) + \frac{f}{m (\omega^2-\gamma^2)} \cos (\gamma t +\beta)$$

L&L rewrites this in the form

$$ x= a' cos(\omega t + \alpha) + \frac{f}{m(\omega^2-\gamma^2)} [\cos (\gamma t +\beta)-\cos(\omega t+\beta)]$$
    where
    $$ a'=\frac{f}{m (\omega^2-\gamma^2)} \frac{\cos \beta}{\cos \alpha} + a $$

(note that a' is a function of ##\gamma##)
    L&L does not write ##a'## but writes again ##a## (which is confusing). Now from this general solution he takes only the second addend as a particolar solution. then he takes the limit for ##\gamma \rightarrow \omega ##:
    $$ \lim_{\gamma \rightarrow \omega} \frac{f}{m(\omega^2-\gamma^2)} [\cos (\gamma t +\beta)-\cos(\omega t+\beta)] = \frac{f}{2m\omega}t \sin(\omega t + \beta) $$

This is a special solution of ##\ddot{x}+\omega^2 x = f/m \cos(\omega t+\beta)## (in the limit ##\gamma \rightarrow \omega##). The general solution is the sum of a special solution plus the general solution of the homogeneus equation associated, which is just formula 22.5 :

$$x(t)= a \cos(\omega t+ \alpha) + \frac{f}{2m\omega}t \sin(\omega t + \beta) $$

remark: in this formula ##a## is the same as eq 22.4 (is a constant and is not ##a'##).

Hope someone will get benefit from this as i would have had yesterday ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2
    sorry my bad, at line "This is a special solution..." i meant ##\ddot x+ \omega ^2 x =f/m \cos(\gamma t+\beta)## instead of ##\ddot x+ \omega ^2 x =f/m \cos(\omega t+\beta)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook