1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillations: solution of Differential Equation at resonance

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Following a worked example in my book, I have been trying to get a solution for the equation

[itex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2} + \frac{k}{m}u = Fcos\omega t[/itex]

The book says that at resonance, i.e. when [itex]\omega_0[/itex] (the natural frequency) = [itex]\omega[/itex] (the forcing frequency), the term [itex]F cos\omega t[/itex] is a solution to the homogenous equation and the solution to the differential equation above is[tex]Acos\omega_0t +Bsin\omega_0t+\frac{F}{2m\omega_o^2}tsin\omega_0t[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To get the full solution:

Complementary Function:

[tex]Acos\omega_0t+Bsin\omega_0t[/tex], where [tex]\omega_0=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

To get the Particular Integral:
    Assume [itex]u= Ctcos\omega t +Dtsin\omega t[/itex]

Then [tex]\frac{du}{dt}= C cos\omega t - Ct\omega sin \omega t + D sin\omega t +Dt \omega cos \omega t[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du}{dt}= (Dt\omega +C ) cos\omega t + (D-Ct\omega) sin\omega t[/tex]

And [tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2} = -C \omega sin \omega t -C\omega sin \omega t - C \omega^2 t cos \omega t + D\omega cos \omega t + D\omega cos \omega t - D \omega^2 t sin \omega t[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^"}=(2D\omega -c \omega^2t)cos\omega t +(-2C\omega -D\omega^2t)sin \omega t [/tex]

Back substituting these into the original differential equation:

[tex](2D\omega -C\omega^2t + \frac{k Ct}{m}) cos\omega t + (\frac{KDt}{m}-2C\omega -D\omega^2t) sin \omega t = \frac{F}{m} cos\omega t[/tex]

Equating coefficients:

[tex](2D\omega -C\omega^2t + \frac{k Ct}{m}) =\frac{F}{m}[/tex]

and [tex](\frac{kDt}{m} -2 C \omega - D\omega^2 t) = 0[/tex]

After this, I have tried solving for D and C but it seems to end up in a pretty intractable mess.

I know somehow D should be equal to [itex] \frac{F}{2m\omega_0^2} [/itex] (and I assume since we are talking about a situation in which [itex]\omega_0=\omega[/itex], D= [tex] \frac{F}{2m\omega_0^2} = \frac{F}{2m\omega} [/tex]) but can not see how to get there. Can anyone tell me if I have been going in the right direction so far?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

From the form of the particular solution, you're apparently assuming that ##\omega=\omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}##, so the two equations reduce to
    \begin{align*}
    2\omega D &= \frac Fm \\
    -2\omega C &= 0.
    \end{align*} The solution you're trying to obtain is not correct: ##\frac{F}{m\omega_0^2}t\sin\omega_0 t## does not have units of length.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot Vela. I should have noticed that when equating coefficients.

I don't quite understand this though:

I can't see anything to do with units of length in the equation...

5. Mar 19, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The denominator is ##m\omega^2 = k## where ##k## has units of force/length, so ##\frac{F}{m\omega^2}## will have units of length. That would be fine if the coefficient multiplied only ##\sin \omega t##, but it doesn't. It multiplies ##t \sin\omega t##. The factor of ##t## introduces a unit of time.

6. Mar 19, 2014 #5
    Oh, I see... That makes sense, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted