Exponential Forcing Differential Equation

In summary, the problem is to solve for the amplitude of the resulting oscillation when t approaches infinity, given specific initial conditions and a differential equation. The homogenous solution is found to be a combination of cosine and sine functions, and by trying a particular integral of the form Cte^-t, an equation system is created. However, this particular integral does not yield a solution, so a modified particular integral of Cte^-t + De^-t is found to work. The desired amplitude can then be calculated as the square root of the sum of the squares of the constants A and B in the homogenous solution.
Alettix

Homework Statement

Solve ## \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + \omega^2y = 2te^{-t}##
and find the amplitude of the resulting oscillation when ##t \rightarrow \infty ## given ##y=dy/dt=0## at ##t=0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the homogenious solution to be:
##y_h = A\cos\omega t + B\sin\omega t ##
where A and B are constants.
When looking for the particular integral I tried the obvious choice ##y_p = Cte^{-t}##. However, unless I have done a misstake this yields an equation system:
##(1+\omega^2)Cte^{-t} = 2te^{-t}##
##-2e^{-t}=0##
which lacks solution. Any ideas what more I should try?

I can see that as ##t\rightarrow \infty## the forcing term will tend to ##0## and hence the final amplitude should be ##\sqrt{A^2+B^2}##, but I would like to find the solution to the equation..

Many Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't bother, I realized that ##y_p = Cte^{-t}+De^{-t}## works! :)

1. What is an exponential forcing differential equation?

An exponential forcing differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the rate of change of a quantity and the amount of external force applied to that quantity. It is an ordinary differential equation that includes an exponential function in its formulation.

2. How is an exponential forcing differential equation different from a regular differential equation?

An exponential forcing differential equation differs from a regular differential equation in that it includes an exponential function that represents the external forcing factor. This factor can be a constant or a function of time, and it affects the rate of change of the quantity being studied.

3. What is the significance of an exponential forcing differential equation in science?

An exponential forcing differential equation is significant in science because it allows us to model and understand natural phenomena that involve exponential growth or decay. This type of equation is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to explain various processes and make predictions.

4. How do scientists solve exponential forcing differential equations?

Scientists solve exponential forcing differential equations using various techniques, including separation of variables, integration, and numerical methods. They also utilize computer software programs to solve more complex equations and obtain accurate solutions.

5. Can an exponential forcing differential equation be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, an exponential forcing differential equation can be applied to real-world situations. This type of equation is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model and predict natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It has proven to be a powerful tool in understanding and analyzing complex systems.