Forced oscillations vs Natural frequency

What happens if the frequency of the forced oscillation is Pi / 2 radians out of phase of the natural frequency of the spring mass system? I guess this makes the amplitude of the spring mass system to oscillate at a maximum amplitude.. Am I correct? Thanks in advanced..

What happens if the frequency of the forced oscillation is Pi / 2 radians out of phase of the natural frequency of the spring mass system? I guess this makes the amplitude of the spring mass system to oscillate at a maximum amplitude.. Am I correct? Thanks in advanced..
How can the frequencies be "out of phase"? Or in phase.
Frequency is a number, a quantity. It has no phase. Unless you mean some complex frequency, that includes dissipation.
Can you explain more?

I guess he tried to express the excitation as: F=cos(w*t-pi/2)

First of all I would like to apologize if I made myself unclear..

Anyway here it goes..
Basically, if we plot a graph of phase difference between the driving pendulum and driven pendulum against the frequency of the forced oscillation, at the natural frequency of the pendulum, the phase difference will be Pi / 2 radians. Is this correct?

I thought that if the driving pendulum and the driven pendulum is in phase it will have maximum amplitude..

I hope that my description now clears the air more.. Thanks alot..

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving