Forces at rear brake caliper of motorcycle

In summary: The tab has a slot in it that the brake stay fits into.In summary, the brake stay is mounted by a bolt that is held in place by a torque arm. The torque arm is needed to prevent the caliper from rotating. If the brake stay is too close to the axle, the force needed to hold the brake stay in place increases.
jcw
Looking for some help with a rear brake caliper design.

The rear caliper bolts to a carrier that slides onto and rotates around an axle. An torque arm (motorcycle term) or brake stay is required to prevent the caliper from rotating when the rear brake is applied.

I have to figure a way to fabricate a brake stay and was trying to determine the forces involved and whether mounting the brake stay as far from the axle as possible is better than closer to the axle. I mean does the force on the bolts holding the brake stay in place increase as the distance from the axle decreases.

torque arm.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
jcw said:
... A torque arm ... is required to prevent the caliper from rotating when the rear brake is applied.
So, how would you push something to stop it rotating?
Say, for eg, I held a stick out horizontally and tried to turn on the spot, rotating about my vertical axis. To stop me you would push the stick in the opposite direction. For most effect, where would you push on the stick? At the end, in the middle, near where I'm holding it?
In what direction would you push? Like, at 45o to the stick, perpendicular to the stick, parallel to the stick, etc.? (Rough estimates will do.)

If that tells you the optimum way to push, presumably any other way is less effective and requires more force, which has to be provided by the mounting bolt.

Edit: PS there may be another consideration - the bending of the trailing arm.

Likes jcw
Thanks. I knew that was probably the answer but I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base.
Modern motorbikes instead of a long torque arm use a tab on the swingarm that fits in a slot on the brake stay.

http://burntrubber-burntrubbermotor.netdna-ssl.com/21100-large_default/kawasaki-zx10r-rear-brake-caliper-bracket.jpg

This is a picture of what I'm having to adapt to an older motorbike that previously used a long plate or torque arm.

I'm thinking the length of the torque arm doesn't matter as long as the angle of the arm to the mounting point and axle is the same.
And taken to the extreme, a simple tab on the swingarm is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of the rear brake caliper on a motorcycle?

The rear brake caliper on a motorcycle is responsible for applying pressure to the brake pads, which then clamp down on the brake rotor to slow or stop the rear wheel. It is an essential component of the motorcycle's braking system.

How does the rear brake caliper work?

The rear brake caliper works by using hydraulic pressure. When the rider presses on the rear brake pedal, it activates the master cylinder, which in turn pushes brake fluid through the brake lines and into the caliper. The caliper then uses this fluid to push the brake pads against the rotor, creating friction and slowing down the wheel.

What are some signs of a faulty rear brake caliper?

Some signs of a faulty rear brake caliper include squeaking or grinding noises when braking, a spongy or unresponsive brake pedal, or uneven wear on the brake pads. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to have your rear brake caliper inspected and repaired as soon as possible for your safety.

What are some common causes of rear brake caliper failure?

Some common causes of rear brake caliper failure include worn or damaged brake pads, leaks in the brake lines, or a malfunctioning master cylinder. Additionally, exposure to harsh weather conditions or debris can also contribute to the deterioration of the caliper over time.

How often should the rear brake caliper be inspected and maintained?

It is recommended to have your rear brake caliper inspected and maintained at least once a year or every 6,000-10,000 miles, depending on your riding habits and the condition of your motorcycle. Regular maintenance can help prevent potential issues and ensure the safety and efficiency of your motorcycle's braking system.