Foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language

In summary: This site is awesome; I've frequented it for around seven years or so now. I especially like the Colonel Sanders figurine that they label "Uncle Sam."Most of the Engrish found on Engrish.com is not an attempt to communicate - English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question.There is therefore less emphasis on spell checking and grammatical accuracy (note: the same can be said for the addition of Japanese or Chinese characters
Bladibla
I think the website speaks for itself: http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=gentlemen.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-04-26"

Read the FAQ for any inqueries on its 'political correctness'

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language. Cracks me up. Here's a great example:

Bladibla said:
inqueries

You've got to feel sorry for these poor people, whose native language is something other than English, so sad. Look how they struggle with their second or third language, this poor fellow thought "inquiry" was spelled like "query"! :rofl: You can't blame him I suppose, I mean it is a terribly hard language to learn, for non-native speakers.

"Inqueries"! Hilarious! :biggrin:

Look at this one:
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=blood-condensed.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-04-20

Rach3 said:
Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in the English language. Cracks me up. Here's a great example:
You've got to feel sorry for these poor people, whose native language is something other than English, so sad. Look how they struggle with their second or third language, this poor fellow thought "inquiry" was spelled like "query"! :rofl: You can't blame him I suppose, I mean it is a terribly hard language to learn, for non-native speakers.

"Inqueries"! Hilarious! :biggrin:

+1 for satirical commentary

:rofl: :rofl:

Now sure, its not nice to make fun of someone just because their english isn't perfect (my chinese certainly isn't), but some of the pictures are funny, just as any failed attempt I make at speaking chinese is bound to sound ridiculous to anyone who actually speaks it. In the words of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs...http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=gods-favored-coffee.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-03-16" certainly opens itself up to political and social commentary.

This site is awesome; I've frequented it for around seven years or so now. I especially like the Colonel Sanders figurine that they label "Uncle Sam."

Most of the Engrish found on Engrish.com is not an attempt to communicate - English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question (the girl wearing the "*something*" shirt for example, had no idea what it said until a foreigner pointed it out to her). There is therefore less emphasis on spell checking and grammatical accuracy (note: the same can be said for the addition of Japanese or Chinese characters to hats, shirts and tattoos found in the US or Europe).

Interesting. I'd been told this before(that english was used like that in Japan) but didn't think much of it.

Rach3 said:
Hilarious! I can't stop giggling whenever I see some silly foreign-speaking foreigner make a mistake in their use of the English language. Cracks me up.
:biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question

It's probably not as common, but I know Americans will do the same thing with Japanese and Chinese characters. T-shirts, in particular, will frequently have nonsense characters put together to make it look like the wearer is cultured or elite.

One of my mates had a Paul Frank t-shirt with "I'm a stupid American" on the front in Japanese :biggrin:

He taught at a big college in the US :biggrin:

J77 said:
:biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

Huh? It's idiomatic and correct. Cf. "I made a mistake in the mathematics".

Honorablle menshons:
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=engine-room.jpg&category=Engrish%20from%20Other%20Countries&date=2006-01-13"

1. Why do foreign-speaking foreigners make mistakes in the English language?

Foreign-speaking foreigners often make mistakes in the English language because it is not their native language and they may not have had as much exposure or practice with it compared to their native language. This can lead to errors in grammar, pronunciation, and word choice.

2. Are these mistakes common among all foreign-speaking foreigners?

Yes, mistakes in the English language are common among all foreign-speaking foreigners. It is natural to make mistakes when learning a new language, and even advanced speakers may still make errors.

3. Can these mistakes be corrected?

Yes, these mistakes can be corrected with practice and exposure to the English language. It is important for foreign-speaking foreigners to continue learning and practicing the language in order to improve their skills and reduce errors.

4. What are some common mistakes made by foreign-speaking foreigners in English?

Some common mistakes made by foreign-speaking foreigners in English include incorrect verb tenses, subject-verb agreement errors, and mispronunciation of certain words. Other common errors include using the wrong prepositions, confusing synonyms, and incorrect word order.

5. How can we help foreign-speaking foreigners improve their English language skills?

We can help foreign-speaking foreigners improve their English language skills by providing resources and support such as language classes, tutoring, and language exchange programs. It is also important to be patient and understanding when communicating with non-native English speakers and to provide constructive feedback to help them improve.