Formal proof using the deduction theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a proof for \[\vdash \left ( \sim \alpha \rightarrow \sim \left ( \sim \alpha \right ) \right )\rightarrow \alpha\] using the L inference system and the given axioms and statements. The third axiom slightly differs from the one used in the book, but the deduction theorem can be used to prove the desired statement.
Yankel
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find a proof for:

\[\vdash \left ( \sim \alpha \rightarrow \sim \left ( \sim \alpha \right ) \right )\rightarrow \alpha\]

I am using the L inference system, which includes the modus ponens inference rule, and the axioms and statements attached below. That's the only thing I am suppose to use.

In the book from which I took this question from, the third axiom slightly differ from my third axiom. In the book, the 3rd axiom is:

\[\left ( \sim \beta \rightarrow \sim \alpha \right )\rightarrow \left ( \left ( \sim \beta \rightarrow \alpha \right )\rightarrow \beta \right )\]

While my 3rd axiom is:

\[\left ( \sim \beta \rightarrow \sim \alpha \right )\rightarrow \left ( \alpha \rightarrow \beta \right )\]

In the book, this proof uses the 3rd axiom, and I couldn't find a way to replace their 3rd axiom with mine, nor to prove that my axiom leads to theirs, so I can use it instead.

One more thing to bare in mind, which I forgot to mention and is important, I can (and need to) use the deduction theorem.

In the book, they used the deduction theorem, and then the 3rd axiom, one statement ( \[\sim \alpha \rightarrow \sim \alpha\] ) and twice the MP rule.

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 6067View attachment 6068

Attachments

• ax2.JPG
    ax2.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 55
  • ax3.JPG
    ax3.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Axioms:1. \[\alpha \rightarrow \left ( \beta \rightarrow \alpha \right )\]2. \[\left ( \alpha \rightarrow \left ( \beta \rightarrow \gamma \right )\right ) \rightarrow \left ( \left ( \alpha \rightarrow \beta \right )\rightarrow \left ( \alpha \rightarrow \gamma \right ) \right )\]3. \[\left ( \sim \beta \rightarrow \sim \alpha \right )\rightarrow \left ( \alpha \rightarrow \beta \right )\]Statements:1. \[\sim \alpha \rightarrow \sim \left ( \sim \alpha \right )\]

1. What is the deduction theorem?

The deduction theorem is a fundamental concept in formal logic that states that if a statement A logically implies a statement B, then there exists a formal proof of B from A. In other words, if we can show that A leads to B, we can formally prove B using the deduction theorem.

2. Why is the deduction theorem important?

The deduction theorem is important because it allows us to formally prove the validity of logical arguments. By using the theorem, we can break down complex arguments into smaller, more manageable steps and formally prove each step, ultimately leading to the proof of the overall argument.

3. How is the deduction theorem used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the deduction theorem is used in various fields, such as set theory, algebra, and calculus. It is particularly useful in proving theorems, identities, and equations, as it allows us to formally show that one mathematical expression logically leads to another.

4. Can the deduction theorem be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the deduction theorem can be used in any field that involves logical reasoning, such as philosophy, computer science, and law. It is a fundamental concept in formal logic and can be applied to various disciplines where formal proof is required.

5. Are there any limitations to the deduction theorem?

While the deduction theorem is a powerful tool in formal logic, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to propositions that can be expressed in a formal language, and it assumes that the rules of deduction are valid. In some cases, it may also be difficult to construct a formal proof using the theorem, especially in complex arguments.