Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formation of petrified trees

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    My text book says that formation of petrified trees is a result of a degradation and a sedimentation action of theunderground water, and then it goes on explaining that the underground water replaces the plant material in the tree with silica and other inorganic materials, which I think is a sedimentation action only.
    The book doesn't clarify the part of "degradation action" of the undergroundwater to form the petrified trees, and I would appreciate it if someone explained how the formation of petrified trees is considered as a degradation and a sedimentation action of the underground water in the same time?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. Permineralization is the term most often used for the creation of petrified wood/trees.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permineralization

You can read this and determine how it intersects your textbook's definitions. I do not have your text book so I cannot comment. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted