Formation of Stars: Questions on Range & Equilibrium

In summary, stars come in many different sizes, and this is due to the amount of matter they contain. Gravity helps to fuse hydrogen into helium, and as the star becomes more massive, the pressure of the hot gas inside the star becomes more powerful and helps to hold it up.
Brunolem33
Recently watching a documentary about stars (how the universe works), I was wondering about two things.

The first one is: how is it possible to have stars with such a wide range of sizes?

As far as I understand, stars are created in swirling gas clouds, nebulae.
When the accumulation of gas reaches a certain density and heat, with the help of gravity, a star is "ignited".
Yet, why do some "gas clouds" ignite as soon as they reach, say, the size of the sun, while others need to be ten or a hundred time bigger?

Why isn't there some kind of tipping point at which ignition should automatically occur, making all stars pretty much similar in size? is this related to the composition of the gas cloud, or something else?

The second question is: how is it possible that, despite vast differences regarding gravity and fusion conditions inside small and big stars, they all manage to maintain equilibrium between attraction and repulsion forces?

It looks like the increase of the gravitational force, from a small to a big star, is compensated by a "fine tuning" of the fusion process, so that the repulsion force is increased just enough, so that equilibrium is always preserved, no matter the size of the star.

How likely is that?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I watch this show too and I think it often gets too speculative, like you can tell they are dragging the physicists into discussing remote "possibilities".
Brunolem33 said:
Why isn't there some kind of tipping point at which ignition should automatically occur, making all stars pretty much similar in size? is this related to the composition of the gas cloud, or something else?
My understanding is the "ignition" requires several conditions, which are discussed here in Wikipedia's Star formation article. As for how big they get, it just depends on how much matter they have available to consume.
I don't understand your second question, but I can say that the star remains stable as long as it has enough fuel to drive fusion, or until it produces iron and kills itself.

Last edited:
Brunolem33 said:
The first one is: how is it possible to have stars with such a wide range of sizes?

Unfortunately that's hard to answer in a short post. At least for me. But I can try to answer some of your specific questions.

Brunolem33 said:
As far as I understand, stars are created in swirling gas clouds, nebulae.
When the accumulation of gas reaches a certain density and heat, with the help of gravity, a star is "ignited".
Yet, why do some "gas clouds" ignite as soon as they reach, say, the size of the sun, while others need to be ten or a hundred time bigger?

Well, the simple explanation is that larger protostars have more matter than smaller protostars. This matter takes up room and the forming protostar can't collapse into as small of a volume as a smaller, less massive protostar. It's not that large protostars need to be bigger to reach the temperature required to fuse hydrogen, it's that they simply have more matter and are thus larger in size when they finally reach those temperatures.

Brunolem33 said:
The second question is: how is it possible that, despite vast differences regarding gravity and fusion conditions inside small and big stars, they all manage to maintain equilibrium between attraction and repulsion forces?

The equilibrium situation is a self-correcting process. If you could magically exert a compressive force over the entire surface of the star, the star would collapse very slightly, the temperature would increase, and this increase in temperature would exert an outward force that would resist your compressive force. The fusion rate would increase as well thanks to the increase in temperature.

Brunolem33 said:
It looks like the increase of the gravitational force, from a small to a big star, is compensated by a "fine tuning" of the fusion process, so that the repulsion force is increased just enough, so that equilibrium is always preserved, no matter the size of the star.

How likely is that?

It's a simple consequence of the fact that a hot gas exerts pressure on itself and any container it may be in (which is why you shouldn't leave containers of compressed air or other gases out in the Sun). For a star this manifests as a force which opposes gravity and holds the star up against collapse.

Likes stoomart
All stars are the result of large clouds of interstellar gas and dust, mostly Hydrogen, collapsing under gravity.
At some stage Hydrogen fusion will occur tending to arrest the collapse, but if the collapsing cloud is sufficient massive it can still add further material to the new star.

Thanks, Drakkith I think you answer my questions...

There is still a part of the question which has not been answered, because there isn't yet an answer. If you throw a cookie at the floor, it will splinter into lots of crumbs of various sizes. It is perhaps not so surprising that there would be a distribution there, given the complexity of the cookie-crumbling process. Similarly, it is perhaps not surprising that there should be a wide variety of stellar masses. Remember that the mass is determined long before there is any trace of nuclear ignition.

But if one wants to understand the distribution in masses that you do see, that's a whole different matter, and is probably as complicated as the crumbling of a cookie. I'm not aware of any theory that explains either one, but one can hope that there is some kind of principle at play that transcends all the complex details.

Likes Drakkith
Ken G said:
Remember that the mass is determined long before there is any trace of nuclear ignition.
Can you expound on this a bit further? Is it the same as Drakkith's second paragraph above?

stoomart said:
Can you expound on this a bit further? Is it the same as Drakkith's second paragraph above?

I think Ken means that the mass of the forming protostar is determined by the complex dynamics of the collapsing gas and dust cloud (aka a molecular cloud). Well before fusion begins the cloud has already collapsed and formed dozens to thousands of dense regions, each of which will end up as a star. To quote wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_formation#Cloud_collapse

As it collapses, a molecular cloud breaks into smaller and smaller pieces in a hierarchical manner, until the fragments reach stellar mass. In each of these fragments, the collapsing gas radiates away the energy gained by the release of gravitational potential energy. As the density increases, the fragments become opaque and are thus less efficient at radiating away their energy. This raises the temperature of the cloud and inhibits further fragmentation. The fragments now condense into rotating spheres of gas that serve as stellar embryos.

Likes stoomart
Large, collapsing gas clouds tend to fragment into smaller clumps. The size of these clumps is determined by a complex process that depends on composition, environment and undoubtedly a host of other factors not entirely yet understood. Collectively, these factors form what is commonly referred to as the stellar initial mass function [IMF]. For a review of this interesting subject see; https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2965, A Universal Stellar Initial Mass Function? A Critical Look at Variations.

Likes stoomart

1. How do stars form?

Stars form from clouds of gas and dust called nebulae. These clouds collapse under their own gravity, causing the gas and dust to heat up and form a dense core. As the core continues to collapse, it becomes hot enough for nuclear fusion to occur, creating a star.

2. What factors affect the formation of stars?

The formation of stars is influenced by factors such as the amount of gas and dust in a nebula, the mass of the core, and the temperature and pressure within the core. The chemical composition of the nebula and the presence of nearby stars can also play a role.

3. What is the main source of energy for stars?

The main source of energy for stars is nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium and release a tremendous amount of energy. This process occurs in the core of the star and is what keeps stars shining for billions of years.

4. How does equilibrium play a role in star formation?

Equilibrium is important in star formation because it is the balance between gravity pulling material inward and the pressure from nuclear fusion pushing outward. If these forces are not in balance, the star may collapse or explode.

5. Can stars form outside of galaxies?

Yes, stars can form outside of galaxies in regions where there is enough gas and dust for the formation process to occur. These regions are often found in the outskirts of galaxies or in smaller groups of stars known as star clusters.