1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forming differential equationsfrom words to formula

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rate of increase of thickness of ice on a pond is inversely proportional ro the thickness of ice already present. It is known that,when the thickness is x cm and the temperature is of the air above the ice is -a degrees celcius, the rate is [itex]\frac{ax}{14400} cms^{-1}[/itex] . Form an appropriate diff. eq'n and show that, if the air temp is -10 degrees Cel. , the time taken for the thickness to increase from 5 com to 6 cm is a little more than 2 hours

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

"The rate of increase of thickness of ice on a pond is inversely proportional or the thickness of ice already present."

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} \alpha x => \frac{dx}{dt}=kx[/tex]

therefore [tex] lnx=Ae^{kt}[/tex] and that looks wrong as I have yet to use the given rate...I am confused about the thickness and the given rate

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you get [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} \alpha x => \frac{dx}{dt}=kx[/tex]? Is that really inversely proportional?

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The rate at a given point is merely there so you can determine your constant.

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

oh my bad..i did the question wrong.supposed to be [tex]x^2=Kt+C[/tex]..but I only have one piece of info and 2 constants 'a' and 'k'

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've missed a factor of a half. What you do know is that:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=kx=\frac{ax}{14400} cms^{-1}[/tex] at some thickness x and temperature -a degrees C.

7. Oct 2, 2007 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I multiplied through out by 2..2k=K and 2c=C ....so then k=a/14400 and then sub that in the eq'n

8. Oct 3, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And you have missed the point that EnumaElish raised: the rate is inversely proportional to the thickness, not directly proportional. Assuming x is the thickness of the ice at time t (I personally would insist upon that being explicitely stated), then
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{k}{x}[/tex]
    That gives a whole different situation!

9. Oct 3, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Argh! I apologise. I did this myself at 3 am and was just about to post that he hadn't written it inversely proportional when enuma elish beat me to it, then I go and make the same mistake. Can't believe I did that. Anyway sorry to the OP for any confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?