1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for closest distance to regression line

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    i need to calculate the closest distance of the point that lies closest to the regression
    line for my programing but i am not sure what is the formula. maybe someone can help me out here?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2
    What are you given..? A set of points and you want to fit them to a straight line?

Without further information I would suggest computing the distance to the line for every point and then taking the minimum.

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree with pere Callahan.

But I really don't see what possible interest such a calculation could have.

After all, you could have points lying ON the line of regression, and still have a very bad approximation.

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4
    i am trying to find the nearest point to regression line
    Having found the regression line, i will need to figure out the point that lies closest to the regression line.

Thanks in advance

6. Nov 1, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you know how, in general, to find the distance between a point and a line?

If you do, just make an algorithm to calculate those distances, and pick out that point whose distance is the least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook