Formula for closest distance to regression line

In summary, The conversation involves finding the closest distance of a point to the regression line for a programming task. There is a suggestion to compute the distance for each point and then find the minimum, but there is also a question about the relevance of this calculation. Further, there is a mention of finding the regression line and then finding the point closest to it. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about how to find the distance between a point and a line and a suggestion to create an algorithm to calculate these distances and find the closest point.
tnecniv
i need to calculate the closest distance of the point that lies closest to the regression
line for my programing but i am not sure what is the formula. maybe someone can help me out here?

thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are you given..? A set of points and you want to fit them to a straight line?

Without further information I would suggest computing the distance to the line for every point and then taking the minimum.

I agree with pere Callahan.

But I really don't see what possible interest such a calculation could have.

After all, you could have points lying ON the line of regression, and still have a very bad approximation.

i am trying to find the nearest point to regression line
Having found the regression line, i will need to figure out the point that lies closest to the regression line.

Thanks in advance

tnecniv said:
i am trying to find the nearest point to regression line
Having found the regression line, i will need to figure out the point that lies closest to the regression line.

Thanks in advance

Do you know how, in general, to find the distance between a point and a line?

If you do, just make an algorithm to calculate those distances, and pick out that point whose distance is the least.

What is the formula for closest distance to regression line?

The formula for closest distance to regression line is the perpendicular distance from a data point to the regression line. It is calculated as the vertical distance between the data point and the regression line, following a line that is perpendicular to the regression line.

Why is finding the closest distance to regression line important in scientific research?

Finding the closest distance to regression line is important because it allows us to assess the accuracy of the regression line in predicting values. It also helps us identify outliers and influential data points that may affect the overall trend of the data.

How is the closest distance to regression line calculated?

The closest distance to regression line is calculated using the formula d = |(ax + by + c)| / √(a^2 + b^2), where (x,y) are the coordinates of the data point, a and b are the coefficients of the regression line, and c is the y-intercept of the regression line.

Can the closest distance to regression line be negative?

No, the closest distance to regression line cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the perpendicular distance from a data point to the regression line.

What is the significance of the closest distance to regression line in linear regression analysis?

The closest distance to regression line is an important measure in linear regression analysis, as it helps us evaluate the overall fit of the regression model. A smaller closest distance indicates a better fit, while a larger closest distance may suggest the need for further analysis or a different regression model.