Formula for nth Derivative of f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter christen1289
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 24K views
christen1289
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the formula for the nth derivative of the equation f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how to attempt this problem. I've tried finding derivatives in order to find a pattern but I can't seem to come up with a pattern that would help me to find a formula
 
Physics news on Phys.org
christen1289 said:

Homework Statement


Find the formula for the nth derivative of the equation f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how to attempt this problem. I've tried finding derivatives in order to find a pattern but I can't seem to come up with a pattern that would help me to find a formula

Let's start by listing the derivatives you've found. To make this easier to deal with, you could write the function as

f(x) = (1-x)^(-2) and use the Chain Rule. What is f'(x)?
 
Can you write that in terms of the original f? Does that help when you apply the derivatives again?
 
By finding up to the fourth derivative I came up with this formula:

nth deriv of f= (n+1)(n!)(1-x)^-(n+2)
 
christen1289 said:
By finding up to the fourth derivative I came up with this formula:

nth deriv of f= (n+1)(n!)(1-x)^-(n+2)

Yes! (I had to revise something I was going to say: the (-1) factor from the Chain Rule keeps canceling the minus sign from the exponent-factor, so this does stay positive.)

The one further simplification you can make is that (n+1) · (n!) = (n+1)!