Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for rate of evaporation of water

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    My sister and I are working on a project in which we need to know the rate of evaporation of water... I know that there are a lot of variables to this equation, but we aren't sure exactly where we will end up completing it, so does anyone know a formula to calculate the evaporation rate of water?

Also, if no one knows a good formula for it, I've come up with a list of variables which might possibly make a difference in the rate, but I'm not sure how much each matters. Can you tell me which of these actually makes a difference in the rate, and which ones don't affect it enough to worry about? The list we came up with was:

-heat (of the water)
    -altitude (also air pressure)
    -time
    -speed of river/stream
    -roughness of river bed (that would probably change the surface tension, causing a faster rate of evaporation)
    -depth of water
    -distance from equator (Water is a polar molecule, so would the magnetic fields of earth make a difference?)
    -pollutants in water
    -salinity
    -mineral content (including heaviness of the minerals)
    -humidity, and
    -surface area

Thank you :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2
  4. Aug 24, 2009 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Are you interested in evapotranspiration? There is also a hydrological component to stream water gain/loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook