Formula of modulus of elasticity?

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the modulus of elasticity algebraically for a pine wood rectangular cantilever beam. The person asking the question has provided measurements and is trying to find the correct formula to use and has been struggling for hours. The formula used is PL^3/(3 * change in Y * Inertia) and the OP may have made a mistake in substituting values and using units. The thread has been locked as the OP was not supposed to be seeking online help for this problem.
Matriculator

Homework Statement

How to calculate the modulus of elasticity algebraically? Especially that of a pine wood rectangular cantilever beam? I have a few measurements here. The area inertia is .413 cm^4, the length of the unsupported part of the beam is at 40 centimeters(the whole beam is around 66 centimeters), the deflection is 0.36 centimeters with a load of 1.25 pounds. I'm trying to find the modulus of elasticity is Newtons per centimeters squares. I got 797,775 but it seems way off in comparison to the original module of elasticity. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using the wrong formula. Can someone please help me. I have been sitting here for hours but nothing.

Homework Equations

PL^3/(3 * change in Y * Inertia).

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the correct formula, but did you properly substitute into it? Did you use correct units throughout? Was the load at the very end of the beam? Did you measure the deflection directly at the load?

Matriculator said:

Homework Statement

How to calculate the modulus of elasticity algebraically? Especially that of a pine wood rectangular cantilever beam? I have a few measurements here. The area inertia is .413 cm^4, the length of the unsupported part of the beam is at 40 centimeters(the whole beam is around 66 centimeters), the deflection is 0.36 centimeters with a load of 1.25 pounds. I'm trying to find the modulus of elasticity is Newtons per centimeters squares. I got 797,775 but it seems way off in comparison to the original module of elasticity. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using the wrong formula. Can someone please help me. I have been sitting here for hours but nothing.

Homework Equations

PL^3/(3 * change in Y * Inertia).

Thread locked. Turns out the OP was not supposed to be asking for online help on this problem.

Related to Formula of modulus of elasticity?

1. What is the formula for modulus of elasticity?

The formula for modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is stress divided by strain. It is represented by the symbol E and can be written as E = σ/ε, where σ is the stress and ε is the strain.

2. How is modulus of elasticity calculated?

Modulus of elasticity is calculated by applying a known amount of stress to a material and measuring the resulting strain. The formula E = σ/ε is then used to determine the modulus of elasticity for that material.

3. What is the unit of measurement for modulus of elasticity?

The unit of measurement for modulus of elasticity is usually in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa). However, other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa) may also be used.

4. What factors can affect the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its composition and structure, temperature, and the amount of stress applied. In general, materials with stronger bonds between their particles have a higher modulus of elasticity.

5. Why is modulus of elasticity important?

Modulus of elasticity is an important property of materials as it describes their ability to resist deformation when subjected to external forces. It is often used in engineering and construction to ensure the strength and stability of structures and to select appropriate materials for specific applications.