1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula of modulus of elasticity?

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to calculate the modulus of elasticity algebraically? Especially that of a pine wood rectangular cantilever beam? I have a few measurements here. The area inertia is .413 cm^4, the length of the unsupported part of the beam is at 40 centimeters(the whole beam is around 66 centimeters), the deflection is 0.36 centimeters with a load of 1.25 pounds. I'm trying to find the modulus of elasticity is Newtons per centimeters squares. I got 797,775 but it seems way off in comparison to the original module of elasticity. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using the wrong formula. Can someone please help me. I have been sitting here for hours but nothing.

2. Relevant equations
    PL^3/(3 * change in Y * Inertia).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2
    You used the correct formula, but did you properly substitute into it? Did you use correct units throughout? Was the load at the very end of the beam? Did you measure the deflection directly at the load?

4. Jan 31, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread locked. Turns out the OP was not supposed to be asking for online help on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook