1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me calculate a calculated bending stress (psi) in cantilever beam?

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am using a Vishay strain indicator with it hooked up to a strain gage hooked up 1" away from the wall on the solid beam. The beam is .5" by .5", and it is solid. The beam is 16" long and I am putting weights at the end of the beam. The weights are 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, and 20 lbs. On each weight, I recorded a strain(uin/in). It states to use the modulus of elasticity E_aluminum 10x10^6 to convert to psi. My question is how do I calculate the M part for the bending stress?

2. Relevant equations

bending stress = MC/I

modulus of elasticity E_aluminum 10x10^6 to convert to psi.

3. The attempt at a solution

For C, .5/2= .25

For I, (1/12)*b*h^3 or (1/12)*.5*.5^3 = .0052083

How do I find my M?

For 1 lb, would it be M-1lb(16")=0 or M=16 lb.in but I don't get it why it says to use E_aluminum = 10x10^6 psi to convert.

Here is a picture of the cantilever beam setup I used.

http://tinypic.com/r/2q80eg1/5

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    The moment is simply the distance the weight is from the point in question. So at the wall, the bending moment is W * 16 = 16W inch pounds.

The conversion they are talking about is how you convert strain to stress. Stress = strain times modulus

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    Thank you! It makes sense now. The only weird thing is if I just 10^6 instead of 10*10^6, then it will be close to my theoretical value. But if I do 10*10^6, the calculated value is super off from the theoretical value.

5. Nov 18, 2011 #4
    I have never used strain gauges but does it have some sort of gauge factor associated with it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook