• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Help me calculate a calculated bending stress (psi) in cantilever beam?

• Thread starter gnozahs
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am using a Vishay strain indicator with it hooked up to a strain gage hooked up 1" away from the wall on the solid beam. The beam is .5" by .5", and it is solid. The beam is 16" long and I am putting weights at the end of the beam. The weights are 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, and 20 lbs. On each weight, I recorded a strain(uin/in). It states to use the modulus of elasticity E_aluminum 10x10^6 to convert to psi. My question is how do I calculate the M part for the bending stress?

Homework Equations

bending stress = MC/I

modulus of elasticity E_aluminum 10x10^6 to convert to psi.

The Attempt at a Solution

For C, .5/2= .25

For I, (1/12)*b*h^3 or (1/12)*.5*.5^3 = .0052083

How do I find my M?

For 1 lb, would it be M-1lb(16")=0 or M=16 lb.in but I don't get it why it says to use E_aluminum = 10x10^6 psi to convert.

Here is a picture of the cantilever beam setup I used.

http://tinypic.com/r/2q80eg1/5

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

The moment is simply the distance the weight is from the point in question. So at the wall, the bending moment is W * 16 = 16W inch pounds.

The conversion they are talking about is how you convert strain to stress. Stress = strain times modulus

The moment is simply the distance the weight is from the point in question. So at the wall, the bending moment is W * 16 = 16W inch pounds.

The conversion they are talking about is how you convert strain to stress. Stress = strain times modulus
Thank you! It makes sense now. The only weird thing is if I just 10^6 instead of 10*10^6, then it will be close to my theoretical value. But if I do 10*10^6, the calculated value is super off from the theoretical value.

I have never used strain gauges but does it have some sort of gauge factor associated with it?