Compute the elastic modulus of hypothetical alloy

In summary, we have a cylindrical specimen of a hypothetical metal alloy with a diameter of 10mm. A tensile force of 1500 N causes a 6.7e-4mm elastic reduction in diameter. By using the formula for stress and poisson's ratio, we can calculate the elastic modulus to be 100 GPa. However, the correct answer given is 100 MPa, indicating a possible error in the given solution.
physicsnnewbie

Homework Statement

Consider a cylindrical specimen of some hypothetical metal alloy that has a diameter of 10mm. A tensile force of 1500 N produces an elastic reduction in diameter of 6.7e-4mm. Compute the elastic modulus of this alloy, given that poisson's ratio is 0.35.

Homework Equations

stress = eleastic modulus*strain
poisson's ratio = lateral strain/axial strain

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate pressure in Pa:
1500/(5e-3^2*3.14159) = 1.90986e+7

Convert to GPa:
1.90986e+7/1e6 = 1.90986e+1

Calculate lateral strain:
6.7e-4/10 = 6.7e-5

Calculate axial strain:
6.7e-5/.35 = 1.91429e-4

Calculate Elastic Modulus:
1.90986e+1/1.91429e-4 = 9.97686e+4

=100GPa

The correct answer is 100MPa. I'm not sure where I've made the mistake though.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnnewbie said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate pressure in Pa:
1500/(5e-3^2*3.14159) = 1.90986e+7

Convert to GPa:
1.90986e+7/1e6 = 1.90986e+1

What does the prefix 'giga' mean? And what does the prefix 'mega' mean? And what unit are you normalising by in this step? Add in the fact that you're a factor of 103 out and you know there is going to be an error in your consideration of units somewhere in your solution...

Well I originally converted it to MPa but decided to convert it to GPa instead (I'm not sure why). Anyway this shouldn't be the cause of the magnitude difference because it just means i will get the answer in GPa instead of MPa right?

So where have I gone wrong with the magnitudes?

Sorry, was on autopilot there and spotted a difference between what you said you were expressing it in terms of and what you actually have. I agree with your calculations and answer. I know it's not a reliable guideline in this case (especially as the original problem states 'hypothetical') but most metals and their alloys do exhibit moduli upwards of 50 GPa, so the given answer does seem erroneous.

Ok thanks.

It looks like you are right and whoever did the calculations for the answer improperly added a factor of 1e-3 to the diameter measurement when computing lateral strain. Since the deflection number was already stated in mm, you are correct in your approach.

1. What is the elastic modulus of an alloy?

The elastic modulus of an alloy is a measure of its stiffness or resistance to deformation when an external force is applied. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in the material.

2. How do you compute the elastic modulus of an alloy?

The elastic modulus of an alloy can be computed by dividing the stress by the strain in a tensile test. The stress and strain values can be obtained by measuring the force applied to the material and the resulting change in length, respectively.

3. What factors can affect the elastic modulus of an alloy?

The elastic modulus of an alloy can be affected by various factors such as the composition and microstructure of the alloy, the temperature and pressure at which it is tested, and any previous deformations or treatments that the alloy has undergone.

4. Why is the elastic modulus important for alloys?

The elastic modulus is an important property for alloys as it determines their strength, stiffness, and ability to withstand external forces without permanent deformation. It is also a key factor in the design and selection of materials for various applications.

5. Can the elastic modulus of an alloy be changed?

Yes, the elastic modulus of an alloy can be changed by altering its composition, microstructure, or through various heat treatments. The addition of certain alloying elements can also affect the elastic modulus of an alloy.