Formula of refraction at spherical surface

In summary, when calculating the formula for refraction at a spherical surface, it is important to consider the sign convention for R, u, and v. The commonly used formula is ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}##, with R being positive for a convex surface and negative for a concave surface. The image distance u should also be positive if the image is on the opposite side of the light source, and negative if it is on the same side. It is important to check the sign convention for the specific problem being solved, as it may differ from book to book. It is not necessary to use a modulus for n2-n1
desmond iking

Homework Statement

i am confused which eqaution to use for formula of refraction at spherical surface , do i need to put a modulus for n2-n1 ? some book gives modulus , while the other book not . which one is correct?

gy5uYRJ.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
See http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-iv/optics/refracting-surface.php
You need n2-n1 on the right-hand side.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
See http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-iv/optics/refracting-surface.php
You need n2-n1 on the right-hand side.

ehild

can you explain which is correct? with modulus or without modulus, i read thru the online notes. still can't figure out which is correct and which is wrong.

I might have misunderstood you. What do you mean on "modulus"? Absolute value?

Check the sign convention of R and that of the image distance before using the formula. It might differ from book to book.

ehild

ehild said:
I might have misunderstood you. What do you mean on "modulus"? Absolute value?

Check the sign convention of R and that of the image distance before using the formula. It might differ from book to book.

ehild

yes , absolute value , i have an example here.
assuming the light ray pass from left to right, since the refracting surface is concave to the incident light ray, then r is NEGATIVE , but if I put modulus to n2-n1 , my ans would be diffrerent from the text, tat's why i am confused whether to use modulus for n2-n1 or not . in the text , it can be known that n2-n1 is negative.

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 417
The solution uses the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}## (this is more common than the one you used) with the sign convention: R is positive if the spherical surface is convex as viewed by the incoming ray. R is negative if the surface is concave from the direction the light arrives. The image distance u is positive if the image is at that opposite from where the light arrives, and negative if it is at the same side. The object distance is positive if it is in front of the surface, ( at that side from where the light arrives).

The sign convention in case of the formula you cited is that the distances to the left from the surface are negative and they are positive if they are to the right of the surface. In that case u would be -30 cm.

In case of the problem you show, R is negative, R=-20 cm. n1=1, n2=1.5, n2-n1=0.5. If you calculate the image distance with the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}##, ##\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1.5}{v}=\frac{0.5}{-20}## you get the result in the book.

Using your previous formula, both the object and the centre of the sphere are to the left from the refracting surface, so both u and R are negative. u=-30 cm, R=-20 cm, so you get ##\frac{1.5}{v}-\frac{1}{-30}=\frac{0.5}{-20}## which gives the same result.

Do not put absolute value anywhere.

ehild

ehild said:
The solution uses the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}## (this is more common than the one you used) with the sign convention: R is positive if the spherical surface is convex as viewed by the incoming ray. R is negative if the surface is concave from the direction the light arrives. The image distance u is positive if the image is at that opposite from where the light arrives, and negative if it is at the same side. The object distance is positive if it is in front of the surface, ( at that side from where the light arrives).

The sign convention in case of the formula you cited is that the distances to the left from the surface are negative and they are positive if they are to the right of the surface. In that case u would be -30 cm.

In case of the problem you show, R is negative, R=-20 cm. n1=1, n2=1.5, n2-n1=0.5. If you calculate the image distance with the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}##, ##\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1.5}{v}=\frac{0.5}{-20}## you get the result in the book.

Using your previous formula, both the object and the centre of the sphere are to the left from the refracting surface, so both u and R are negative. u=-30 cm, R=-20 cm, so you get ##\frac{1.5}{v}-\frac{1}{-30}=\frac{0.5}{-20}## which gives the same result.

ehild

i still can't understand why the u is -30cm. the light ray passed from left to right, (the object is placed to the left of the refracting surface) , so the object is REAL am i right? so it should be POSITIVE ?

ehild said:

ehild

here's another case . now , the n2-n1 is negative where 1-1.5 = -0.5

if i put modulus on it , my n2-n1 is always positive , but the book didnt put modulus on it. here's a better case showing whether the n2-n1 should be placed modulus or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20140816_120813.jpg
    IMG_20140816_120813.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_20140816_120915.jpg
    IMG_20140816_120915.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 383
desmond iking said:
i still can't understand why the u is -30cm. the light ray passed from left to right, (the object is placed to the left of the refracting surface) , so the object is REAL am i right? so it should be POSITIVE ?

If you use the sign convention that the real object has positive distance, then apply the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}##. The other one you cited in your first post is valid in case of the other sign convention.

ehild

desmond iking said:
here's another case . now , the n2-n1 is negative where 1-1.5 = -0.5

if i put modulus on it , my n2-n1 is always positive , but the book didnt put modulus on it. here's a better case showing whether the n2-n1 should be placed modulus or not.

Forget the modulus. u=3 cm, R=-10 cm, n1=1.5 and n2=1. Plug in the data into the formula ##\frac{n_1}{u}+\frac{n_2}{v}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{R}##

ehild

What is the formula for refraction at a spherical surface?

The formula for refraction at a spherical surface is: n1(sinθ1)/n2(sinθ2) = (R - d)/R, where n1 is the refractive index of the initial medium, n2 is the refractive index of the final medium, θ1 is the angle of incidence, θ2 is the angle of refraction, R is the radius of curvature of the spherical surface, and d is the distance between the point of incidence and the center of curvature.

How is the refractive index of a medium calculated?

The refractive index of a medium is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the medium. It is represented by the symbol n and is a dimensionless quantity.

What is the difference between angle of incidence and angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line at the point of incidence, while the angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted ray and the normal line at the point of incidence. The two angles are related by Snell's Law: n1(sinθ1) = n2(sinθ2).

What is the significance of the radius of curvature in the formula for refraction at a spherical surface?

The radius of curvature, represented by the symbol R, is the distance between the center of curvature and the point of incidence on the spherical surface. It determines the curvature of the surface and affects the amount of refraction that occurs. A larger radius of curvature leads to less refraction, while a smaller radius of curvature leads to more refraction.

What are some real-life applications of the formula for refraction at a spherical surface?

The formula for refraction at a spherical surface is used in many real-life applications, such as in eyeglasses and contact lenses, lenses in cameras and telescopes, and curved mirrors in solar panels and telescopes. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in different mediums and predicting the path of light rays through lenses and other optical instruments.