Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran question (beginner)

1. Oct 28, 2015 #1
    Hello!
    I'm trying to use a subprogram from the Starlink Project - Lucy in the library KAPPA - that is already installed and compiled. The idea is to be able to call it from my fortran routine.

Something like this:
    Code (Text):
    PROGRAM ex

INTEGER i
    REAL in(10),psf(10),out(10)

DO i =1,10
      in(i) = rand()
      psf(i) = rand()
    ENDDO

lucy in psf out

WRITE(*,*)out

END
    Is that possible?
    If so, how should I compile the file (using gfortran)?

After downloading and unpacking the Starlink package you write in the terminal:

$ export STARLINK_DIR=$HOME/Astronomy/Software/star-2015A
    $ source $STARLINK_DIR/etc/profile

After that you can run the subprograms by typing:
    $ kappa
    $ lucy

The compiled lucy file can be found here: $HOME/Astronomy/Software/star-2015A/bin/kappa/lucy

The source file lucy.f can be found here: https://github.com/Starlink/starlink/blob/master/applications/kappa/libkappa/lucy.f

Many thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You would have to use
    Code (Fortran):

call lucy (status)

But the subroutine lucy doesn't take in any other argument than that status, so I don't see how you can pass data to and from your own program.

After a quick look at the source code, it doesn't appear that the subroutine was intended to be used on its own. I think it would take quite some work to disentangle it from the main program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook