Proving Uniqueness of Addition in Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of Theorem 4 from the book "Foundations of Analysis" by E. Landau. The person is trying to prove the theorem in a different way than the book and is seeking a check. The theorem states that for every pair of numbers x and y, there exists a unique number x+y that satisfies certain properties. The conversation also mentions the relevant axioms and the attempt at a solution, which includes a mistake that is later noticed.
Dansuer

Homework Statement

Hi everybody, I'm going through the book Fondations of Analysis by E. Landau. I'm trying to prove theorems by myself and then checking if they are correct. But i proved this theorem in a different way then the book and i need a check. thank you :wink:

Theorem 4
To every pair of numbers x,y we may assign an unique number x+y such that

1) for every x x+1=x'

2) for every x and y x+y'=(x+y)'

Homework Equations

Axiom 2

for each x there exist an unique number called the successor of x, denoted by x'

Axiom 4

if x'=y' then x=y

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved existence in the same way of the book and so i know it's right.
For uniqueness i did this.

Let's take x,y to be arbitrary natural numbers.
We assume there there exist z and w such that x+y = z and x+y = w and that they satisfies properties 1) and 2).
By axiom 2

(x+y)' = z and (x+y)' = w'

Then by property 2)
x+y' = (x+y)' = z'
= w'

and by axiom 4

z = w

The book prove this by induction, so maybe i missed something.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind i see where it's wrong

FAQ: Proving Uniqueness of Addition in Natural Numbers

1. What is the purpose of a proof in the foundation of analysis?

The main purpose of a proof in the foundation of analysis is to provide a rigorous and logical justification for mathematical statements. These proofs serve as the building blocks for further mathematical concepts and theories.

2. How do you construct a proof in the foundation of analysis?

To construct a proof in the foundation of analysis, one must first clearly state the statement or theorem to be proven. Then, logical steps and mathematical techniques are used to demonstrate the truth of the statement. The proof should be concise, precise, and logically sound.

3. What role do axioms and definitions play in a proof?

Axioms and definitions serve as the starting points for a proof in the foundation of analysis. Axioms are self-evident truths that do not require proof, while definitions establish the meaning of mathematical objects and concepts. These foundational elements help to establish the logical structure of a proof.

4. Why is it important to use rigorous language in a proof?

In the foundation of analysis, rigorous language is necessary to ensure that the proof is logically valid and free from ambiguity. Mathematical language is precise and specific, and any vagueness or ambiguity can lead to a flawed proof. Using rigorous language also allows for the proof to be easily understood and verified by others.

5. What are common techniques used in proofs in the foundation of analysis?

Some common techniques used in proofs in the foundation of analysis include direct proof, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and proof by contrapositive. Other techniques may be specific to certain mathematical concepts or theorems, and may include algebraic manipulation, logical reasoning, and use of definitions and axioms.

Back