Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Four GOP candidates fail to make Virginia primary ballot

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Assuming the judge's ruling remains, will having Santorum, Perry, Hunstman & Gingrich left off of the VA primary ballot have any effect? The most recent poll I could find, Dec 21st, showed Gingrich leading Romney, with the other candidates way behind.

Will people throw their votes to a candidate they don't want or stay away? Or do you think they will be allowed on?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/politics/virginia-gop-primary-ballot/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

The judge seemed fair. That leaves Romney and Paul as the primary candidates, neither of which are going to be real popular among the right IMO. Will conservatives stay home?

4. Jan 14, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

And:

The candidates knew that the people circulating their election petitions had to be residents of VA, and ignored that requirement. According the the AG, the decision will likely be appealed, but appeals can take time. Does that leave the people of VA ample time to conduct an orderly primary?

5. Jan 14, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing else in US politics seems to be timely and orderly these days, so why should the VA primary be any different?

But to an outsider it looks like a non-issue. The rules were clear enough but people didn't follow them. Game over.

6. Jan 14, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

And it wasn't the VA government that disqualified the candidates - it was the VA state GOP. Their own party disqualified them. Appealing to the courts is a non-starter if their own party has kept them off the ballot.

7. Jan 14, 2012 #6
    Well my personal opinion is that some of them wont matter. Namely huntman and Perry. I expect both of them to drop out of the race after the South Carolina primary.
    The other two might not even matter either, I'm betting that if Romney wins South Carolina (which I think he will), it will go a long way to discouraging voters in other state primaries, and make this a run-a-way primary. At which point I think an appeal will be dropped.

8. Jan 17, 2012 #7
    Good call, I believe huntsman just dropped out and endorsed romney...good, the more support for romney, the more chance obama has to stay in office. ...since the only republican that can beat obama is ron paul. Obama had the youth vote last election...Ron Paul has a vast youth following too.

9. Jan 17, 2012 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure I'd call Ron Paul's supporters a "vast youth following", but I do think he'll have more support among the youth than most Republicans. For one thing, unlike most Republicans, Ron Paul is against SOPA. That will certainly help get him the youth vote.

10. Jan 17, 2012 #9

Perhaps he doesn't have the vast youth vote that Obama had last election, but Ron has, without question, the highest youth vote of any of his Republican opponents. And by "highest," I don't mean the Cannibus vote :) ,although he does have that too!

Ron had 48 percent of the youth vote to Romney's 14 percent in Iowa and in New Hampshire, Ron had 47 percent of the youth vote to Romney's 24 percent. Although, I believe I read that the youth vote only accounts for 15 percent of eligible voters...

EDIT:

P.S.

I thought of a good point paul should bring up at the next debate (should someone decide to criticize him). If you can't remember to get the required signatures to contend in an important primary, how can the american people trust you'll remember to accomplish the necessary steps required for the Presidential election ballot? ....lol that probably is not a technically valid argument, considering I have no idea what steps are necessary in order to appear on the presidential election ballot..but i'd find it funny if ron paul said something along those lines lol

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  11. Jan 18, 2012 #10
    What would happen if ALL the candidates failed to make the ballot?

12. Jan 18, 2012 #11

Evo

That would be funny.

13. Jan 18, 2012 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Especially since the VA GOP (edit: Va state law) does not allow write-ins in a primary. So no candidates - no primary.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  14. Jan 18, 2012 #13
    SOPA/PIPA isn't a partisian issue. It's pretty well split between the parties - moderates supporting it and the extremes of both parties against it. (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legislators_who_support_SOPA_or_PIPA - there's 16 D sponsors and 15 R sponsors for SOPA and PIPA is similarly split.) Claiming that 'most Republicans' support SOPA is only accurate if you also include that 'most democrats' support it as well. (However, I think it's becoming increasingly evident that neither bill is going to pass)

I haven't actually heard any comments regarding SOPA from Romney or Santorum. Has anyone seen statements from them? It could actually be a hot button during these primaries.

15. Jan 22, 2012 #14
    yes it would ... and no, it would not.
    Is it a possibility ?

what would happen?
    just curious.?

16. Jan 22, 2012 #15

Astronuc

Note that Perry and Hunstman have dropped out of the contest.

Santorum and Gingrich are still in. Gingrich won SC GOP primary with 40% of the votes as compared to 28% for Romney, 17% for Santorum and 13% for Ron Paul.

17. Jan 22, 2012 #16

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently all four remaining candidates oppose it. For example, http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/GOP-Debate-Internet/2012/01/19/id/424827. Even if they were split, it's too narrow and too technical an issue, and it appeared way too early to make much of a difference.

The Daily Show replayed some clips from hearings on SOPA and PIPA, showing how utterly ignorant our congresscritters are with regard to technical matters and how utterly proud they are of that ignorance. Critters from both parties spouted words along the lines of "I'm not a nerd, so I don't understand this stuff."

18. Jan 22, 2012 #17

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw this and felt it would be amusing to post here The writer is describing how Gingrich needs Santorum to drop out of the race so he can sweep the evangelical states, including

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook