Exploring the Strange Result of Equation 8.9 in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about the equation (8.9) in chapter 8 of the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Mandl and Shaw. The equation involves four vectors and the concept of mass, which leads to a discussion about the difference between a vector and its norm. The speaker also mentions a similar term in another book, "Field Theory" by Guidry.
shadi_s10
Dear all,
I am taking 'field theory' course this semster and I am reading 'quantum field theory' by mandl and shaw.
In chapter 8, equation (8.9) we see:

E_1 E_2 v_rel=〖[(p_1 p_2 )^2-m_1^2 m_2^2]〗^(1/2)

and we know that as p is a four vector:
p=(E,P)=m
so p_1 p_2 = m_1 m_2

!
Isn't it strange?!
I think the right hand side of eq(8.9)should be zero then!

what am I donig wrong?!

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
shadi_s10 said:
p=(E,P)=m
That doesn't make any sense. The mass m is a scalar. How can it be equal to p, a four-vector?

shadi_s10 said:
Dear all,
I am taking 'field theory' course this semster and I am reading 'quantum field theory' by mandl and shaw.
In chapter 8, equation (8.9) we see:

E_1 E_2 v_rel=〖[(p_1 p_2 )^2-m_1^2 m_2^2]〗^(1/2)

p=(E,P)=m
so p_1 p_2 = m_1 m_2

!
Isn't it strange?!
I think the right hand side of eq(8.9)should be zero then!

what am I donig wrong?!

:confused:
The norm of the 4-vector is equal to m not the vector itself.

But if you take a look at field theory by guidry we have the exact same term!
I mean:
p= (E,P) = m
Because as you know in relativity we have:
E^2+P^2=m^2
and this is the exact result from p= m
!

You must be leaving out typographical information because what you are writing simply doesn't make sense. It's akin to saying the vector (2,1,3) is equal to the number 6. It just doesn't work from a mathematical perspective.

shadi_s10 said:
But if you take a look at field theory by guidry we have the exact same term!
I mean:
p= (E,P) = m
Because as you know in relativity we have:
E^2+P^2=m^2
and this is the exact result from p= m
!
It is actually E^2-P^2=m^2

[tex]\vec{p}=(E,\vec{P})[/tex]

[tex]\vec{p}\cdot\vec{p}=E^2-\vec{P}\cdot\vec{P}=m^2[/tex]
|p|=m
I do not have your book but I know the notation you are using.It does not bother pointing the difference between the vector and the norm.You should be able to figure out what is he is talking about from the context.

FAQ: Exploring the Strange Result of Equation 8.9 in Quantum Field Theory

1. What is Equation 8.9 in Quantum Field Theory?

Equation 8.9 in Quantum Field Theory is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used to predict the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

2. Why is the result of Equation 8.9 considered strange?

The result of Equation 8.9 is considered strange because it predicts outcomes that go against our classical understanding of physics. These outcomes may include particles appearing and disappearing, or particles being in two places at the same time.

3. How is Equation 8.9 used in quantum experiments?

Equation 8.9 is used in quantum experiments to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other. It is also used to verify the results of experiments and to further our understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. What are some possible explanations for the strange results of Equation 8.9?

Some possible explanations for the strange results of Equation 8.9 include the concept of quantum entanglement, the uncertainty principle, and the wave-particle duality of particles. These concepts challenge our classical understanding of physics and require a different way of thinking about the behavior of particles.

5. How does Equation 8.9 contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Equation 8.9 and the principles of quantum field theory contribute to our understanding of the universe by providing a mathematical framework for explaining the behavior of particles at the smallest levels. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental forces of nature and the complex interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

Back