1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier factor frustration

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have conflicting notes and even textbooks about where i should and shouldn't have factors of 2 when doing fourier series. I just want to check once and for all i'm doing it right and not introducing erroneous factors of 2 or omitting any

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \tilde{f}(x)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum^{\inf}_{n=1} [a_n cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) + b_n sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    a_n = \frac{1}{L} \int^{L}_{-L} cos \frac{n\pi x}{L} f(x) dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    b_n = \frac{1}{L} \int^{L}_{-L} sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) f(x) dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    a_0 = \frac{1}{2L} \int^{L}_{-L} f(x) dx
    [/tex]

where the interval is [-L,L] and the period is 2L

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the above formulation correct (i'm particularly unsure about the 1/2L associated with a0)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just plug in the series for f(x) into the integrals and see if the coefficients work out correctly.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have an extra factor of 1/2 associated with [itex]a_0[/itex]. To see that this is the case, set [itex]f(x) = 1[/itex]. Then according to your formulas, [itex]a_0 = 1[/itex] and the Fourier series is

[tex]\tilde{f}(x) = 1/2[/tex].

There should be a 1/2 either on the defining integral for [itex]a_0[/itex] or on the [itex]a_0[/itex] term in the series expansion, but not both.

You can check your other coefficients in a similar way by setting

[tex]f(x) = \cos(n\pi x/L)[/tex]

or

[tex]f(x) = \sin(n \pi x/L)[/tex]

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    thank you guys!

I had tried checking it but couldn't be certain it wasn't my dodgy arithmetic!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook