1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series (2 same functions different inequality signs)

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Untitled.jpg

these two functions will give the same Fourier series? because when I write the graph they look the same?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

in the picture

thank you
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The series coefficients are defined by an integral. If you change the value of a function at a finite number of points, can the integral give you a different result?

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    I think integral give a different result so they are different ? not 100% sure

because in my lecture note all the example are < ,> there is no single example has <=, >=. so when I tried to do some exercise there are <=, >= on the functions so it kinda confused me. please explain more

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. Feb 13, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you can change a function at a finite number of points, and the integral will still be the same. So your Fourier coefficients will be the same for both functions.

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook