Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series: Can even functions be changed to odd?

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    When creating a Fourier series for a function [itex]f(x)[/itex], I consider whether the function is odd or even first. Yet, often these functions are in the positive region [itex] [0, L] [/itex].

Since [itex]f(x)[/itex] is only defined in this region, can I change the function to get a desired parity? By example, my concern originated with the function [itex]f(x) = x \sin x[/itex]. This is an even function, but I could modify the function as [itex]f(x) = |x| \sin x [/itex] to make it odd while retaining the desired information in [itex] [0, L] [/itex].

Can this be done? And are there problems with doing this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean with "retaining the desired information"? What exactly is it that you want to do?

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    Meaning that [itex]x \sin x[/itex] on [itex][0,\pi][/itex] is the same as [itex]|x| \sin x[/itex] on [itex][0,\pi][/itex].

The application is usually for solving heat equations. So the region is usually x = 0 to x = L in the problems I see. Again, another example: When I work out all the details of a solution by eigenfunction expansion based on homogeneous Dirichlet boundary conditions, I end up with a Fourier sine series equal to some function [itex]f(x)[/itex], where [itex]f(x)[/itex] is the initial condition u(x,0). But to have a Fourier sine series, [itex]f(x)[/itex] must be an odd function, right?

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK. You're right then. The right way to find a sine series converging to ##f## is to extend it to an odd function on entire ##[-L,L]##. So you'll have to work with ##|x|\sin(x)## on ##[-\pi,\pi]##, like you suggested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook