1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series - DC component, integration problem

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Fourier series representation of:

f(t)={-t , -∏<t<0
    f(t)={0 , 0<t<∏

This is a piecewise function.

T=2∏ (the period)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{2}{T}*\int_0^T f(t),dt[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help only with calculating the DC component. Once I get that working, I can continue on my own. Tried multiple times, I keep getting pi/2.

The correct answer should be pi/4.

This is my graph:
    hzRy6UY.jpg
    Is this graph correct?

I consider the area of the function from -pi to 0 identical if I change it from:

f(t)=-t -∏<t<0

to

f(t)=t 0<t<∏

Is this permitted? Surely it's the same result. Seems alright to me

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{2}{2\pi}*\int_0^∏ -t,dt[/tex]

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{\pi}*(\frac{\pi^2}{2}-0)[/tex]

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

And the book says it should be pi/4.

What am I doing wrong? Is my graph correct? Is my integration correct? Is the book's solution wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    I think I figured it out.... my a0 seems correct to be ∏/2,

but when I type out the actual Fourier series, the formula is:

a0/2, making it ∏/4.

If anybody wants to confirm my thinking, that would be helpful!

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Textbooks are not consistent on the formula for ##a_0## because some formulas assume the constant term in the series is ##a_0## and some use ##\frac {a_0} 2##, which causes the formula for ##a_0## to differ by ##2##. As long as you are consistent, you should be OK. But there is no need to go to a different interval than that where the function is given. If the constant term of the series is ##a_0## and the period is ##2p## then$$
    a_0 = \frac 1 {2p}\int_{-p}^p f(t)\, dt = \frac 1 {2\pi}\left(\int_{-\pi}^0 -t\, dt
    +\int_{-\pi}^0 0\, dt\right) = \frac \pi 4$$

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    Thank you for helping me with this!

I think perhaps an error has snuck into your maths though, because you write:

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{2p}.........=\frac{1}{2\pi}......[/tex]

But p=2∏, so it should be [tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{4\pi}[/tex] using your formula.

Can you comment on this?

I understand how there are different formulas though, as you say, when I created the question I hadn't realized that I had to divide it by 2 again, but when I did I wanted somebody to confirm my logic.

I also understand, of course, that I don't have to tinker with the range and function, but that saved me having to deal with negative values etc, I should stick with the actual function though, I have to be at a level where that kind of thing doesn't phase me.

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I said the period was ##2p## so ##p=\pi## in your case. And when you do the integral you will have a ##t^2## in the numerator with a limit of ##-\pi## which will give a ##\pi^2## in the numerator.

7. Apr 16, 2013 #6
    Yes of course, I was too quick in reading there, thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted