1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series problem

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    Hi, I need help on the following problem on Fourier series:

Let phi(x)=1 for 0<x<pi. Expand
    [tex] 1 = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty B_n cos[(n+ \frac{1}{2})x] [/tex]
    a) Find B_n.
    b) Let -2pi < x < 2pi. For which such x does this series converge? For each such x, what is the sum of the series?
    c) Apply Parseval's equality to this series. Use it to calculate the sum
    1 + 1/(3^2) + 1/(5^2) + 1/(7^2) + ....

I know the formula for B_n for a function's Fourier series on the interval -L < x < L, so in this question I need to do some kind of odd or even extension for parts a and b, but I don't know how. Please help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2
    Ok, actually for part a, I'm pretty sure I should do an even extension of the function at x=0 so that it runs from -pi to pi. And I can then determine the B_n's.

But for part b, it looks like I need to somehow extend to -2pi to 2pi. I looked in books, and does an odd extension at x=pi so that function is -1 from pi to 2i. But I don't understand why. And how would I find the x's for the series to converge?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook