How to Find B_n in a Fourier Series Problem on the Interval -L < x < L?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier series for the function phi(x) = 1 for 0 < x < pi. The formula for B_n is known and an even extension of the function at x=0 is needed for part a. For part b, an odd extension at x=pi is required to extend the interval to -2pi to 2pi. The convergence of the series depends on the x's and the sum can be calculated using Parseval's equality.
meteorologist1
Hi, I need help on the following problem on Fourier series:

Let phi(x)=1 for 0<x<pi. Expand
[tex] 1 = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty B_n cos[(n+ \frac{1}{2})x] [/tex]
a) Find B_n.
b) Let -2pi < x < 2pi. For which such x does this series converge? For each such x, what is the sum of the series?
c) Apply Parseval's equality to this series. Use it to calculate the sum
1 + 1/(3^2) + 1/(5^2) + 1/(7^2) + ...

I know the formula for B_n for a function's Fourier series on the interval -L < x < L, so in this question I need to do some kind of odd or even extension for parts a and b, but I don't know how. Please help. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ok, actually for part a, I'm pretty sure I should do an even extension of the function at x=0 so that it runs from -pi to pi. And I can then determine the B_n's.

But for part b, it looks like I need to somehow extend to -2pi to 2pi. I looked in books, and does an odd extension at x=pi so that function is -1 from pi to 2i. But I don't understand why. And how would I find the x's for the series to converge?

To find B_n in this Fourier series problem on the interval -L < x < L, we can use the following formula:

B_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) cos(n \pi x/L) dx

In this case, L = pi and f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < pi. Therefore, we have:

B_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} cos(n \pi x/\pi) dx

Simplifying this integral, we get:

B_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \left[ \frac{sin(n \pi x/\pi)}{n} \right]_{0}^{\pi}

B_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \left[ \frac{sin(n \pi)}{n} - \frac{sin(0)}{n} \right]

B_n = \frac{2}{n \pi} (-1)^n

This gives us the formula for B_n in terms of n.

For part b, we need to consider the convergence of the series on the interval -2pi < x < 2pi. Since the series is a Fourier series, it will converge to the function f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < pi and f(x) = 0 for pi < x < 2pi. Therefore, the series will converge for all values of x in this interval except for x = pi.

To find the sum of the series for each value of x, we can simply plug in the value of x into the series. For example, for x = 0, the sum is:

1 = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty B_n cos[(n+ \frac{1}{2})x]

= B_0 cos(\frac{1}{2}x) + B_1 cos(\frac{3}{2}x) + B_2 cos(\frac{5}{2}x) + ...

= 1 \cdot cos(0) + \frac{2}{1 \pi} (-1)^1 \cdot cos(\frac{3}{2} \cdot 0) + \frac{2}{2 \pi} (-1)^2 \cdot cos(\frac{5}{2} \

FAQ: How to Find B_n in a Fourier Series Problem on the Interval -L < x < L?

1. What is a Fourier series problem?

A Fourier series problem is a mathematical problem that involves representing a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. This representation is known as a Fourier series and can help in analyzing and solving various physical and engineering problems.

2. How is a Fourier series problem solved?

A Fourier series problem is typically solved using the Fourier series formula, which involves calculating the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions. These coefficients can be found by integrating the given function over one period and then using them to construct the Fourier series.

3. What is the importance of Fourier series in science and engineering?

Fourier series are used in science and engineering to analyze and solve various problems that involve periodic functions. They have applications in fields such as signal processing, heat transfer, vibration analysis, and more. They also provide a way to approximate complex functions with simpler trigonometric functions.

4. Can a Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier series is only applicable to periodic functions. Non-periodic functions can be approximated using a Fourier transform, which is a more general version of the Fourier series.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Fourier series. It is only applicable to functions that have a well-defined period and are piecewise continuous. It also may not converge for certain types of functions, known as Gibbs phenomenon. Additionally, it can only approximate a function, and the more terms included in the series, the better the approximation will be.