Fourier transform for loaded string with periodic boundary conditions.

N)*cos(2\pi/N) + 1/2*sin(2\pi*j/N)*sin(2\pi/N)= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N)*cos(2\pi/N) + 1/4*sin(4\pi*j/N)= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N + 2\pi/N) + 1/4*sin(4\pi*j/N)= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2
RufusDarkstar

Homework Statement

So we have a string of N particles connected by springs like so:
*...*...*...*...*

A corresponding Hamiltonian that looks like:
H= 1/2* [tex]\Sigma[/tex] P_j^2 + (x_j - x_(j+1) )^2

Where x is transverse position of the particle as measured from the equilibrium position, and P is the momentum (essentially x-dot in this case)

Assume mass is 1.

The boundary condition is as follows:
x_0 = x_n
p_0 = p_n.

Assume the initial state of the system can be defined as:
[tex]x_{j}[/tex] = sin([tex]\pi[/tex]*j/N)
[tex]p_{j}[/tex]= 0

The object of the problem is to Fourier transform the coordinates and derive the equations of motion in momentum space.

Homework Equations

**[tex]A_{k}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] * [tex]\Sigma^{N}_{1}[/tex] [tex]x_{i}[/tex]*[tex]e^{i*w*k*j}[/tex]

**[tex]x_{j}[/tex] = [tex]\Sigma^{N-1}_{0}[/tex] [tex]A_{k}[/tex]*[tex]e^{-i*w*k*j}[/tex]

where w = 2*[tex]\pi[/tex]/N.

** sin^2(x)= (1 - cos(2x))/2) (identity)

-----------------------------------------------------

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my first goal is to evaluate [tex]\Sigma[/tex]([tex]x_{j}[/tex] - [tex]x_{j+1}[/tex]))^2

which looks like:
[tex]\Sigma^{N}_{1}[/tex]
(([tex]\Sigma^{N-1}_{0}[/tex] [tex]A_{k}[/tex]*[tex]e^{-i*w*k*j}[/tex]) - ([tex]\Sigma^{N-1}_{0}[/tex] [tex]A_{k}[/tex]*[tex]e^{-i*w*k*j+1}[/tex]))^2

=[tex]\Pi^{2}_{1}[/tex] [tex]\Sigma^{N-1}_{0}[/tex] [tex]A_{k}[/tex]*[tex]e^{-i*w*k*j}[/tex]* (1-[tex]e^{-i*w*k}[/tex])

= [tex]\Pi^{2}_{1}[/tex] [tex]\Sigma^{N-1}_{0}[/tex] [tex]A_{k}[/tex][tex]e^{-i*w*k*j}[/tex]*2*sin^2(w*k)

This is as far as i can get. I'm not sure how to evaluate the Pi operator.

N.B. When i hit preview, this message looks like insanity. I'm hoping that that's just a glitch in the preview code.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to help you with your problem. Let's start by looking at the Hamiltonian equation:

H= 1/2* \Sigma P_j^2 + (x_j - x_(j+1) )^2

We can simplify the equation by using the boundary condition x_0 = x_n and p_0 = p_n:

H= 1/2* \Sigma P_j^2 + (x_j - x_n )^2

Next, we can use the given initial state of the system to calculate x_j:

x_{j} = sin(\pi*j/N)

We can also use the identity given in the homework equations to simplify the equation:

sin^2(x)= (1 - cos(2x))/2)

Therefore, we can rewrite the Hamiltonian as:

H= 1/2* \Sigma P_j^2 + (sin(\pi*j/N) - sin(\pi*(j+1)/N) )^2

Now, let's focus on evaluating the sum of (x_j - x_(j+1))^2. We can rewrite it as:

(x_j - x_(j+1))^2 = (sin(\pi*j/N) - sin(\pi*(j+1)/N) )^2

= (sin(\pi*j/N))^2 + (sin(\pi*(j+1)/N))^2 - 2*sin(\pi*j/N)*sin(\pi*(j+1)/N)

= (1/2 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N)) + (1/2 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*(j+1)/N)) - sin(\pi*j/N)*sin(\pi*(j+1)/N)

= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2\pi*(j+1)/N) - sin(\pi*j/N)*sin(\pi*(j+1)/N)

= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N + 2\pi/N) - sin(\pi*j/N)*sin(\pi*(j+1)/N)

= 1 - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j/N) - 1/2*cos(2\pi*j

Related to Fourier transform for loaded string with periodic boundary conditions.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a function into its individual frequency components. It allows us to represent a function in the frequency domain, which can provide useful insights into its behavior.

2. How does a loaded string with periodic boundary conditions affect the Fourier transform?

A loaded string with periodic boundary conditions means that the string is fixed at both ends and has a varying mass density along its length. This results in a more complex Fourier transform, where the frequency components are determined by the mass density and boundary conditions of the string.

3. What are periodic boundary conditions?

Periodic boundary conditions refer to the conditions at the ends of a system that repeat periodically. In the case of a loaded string, this means that the string is fixed at both ends and the vibrations repeat themselves in a periodic manner.

4. How is the Fourier transform used to analyze a loaded string with periodic boundary conditions?

The Fourier transform is used to decompose the vibrations of the loaded string into its frequency components. By analyzing the frequencies and their amplitudes, we can gain insight into the behavior of the string and how it responds to the boundary conditions and varying mass density.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier transform for loaded strings with periodic boundary conditions?

The Fourier transform for loaded strings with periodic boundary conditions has many applications, such as in music and acoustics, where it is used to analyze the vibrations of strings and other instruments. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand the behavior of structures and systems with periodic boundary conditions.