Fourier transform of differentials equation

In summary: You are missing the homogeneous part.Once you find the true general solution, you need only determine whether the integrals involved in exist/converge for your two f(x)'s to know whether or not a solution exists for your ODE.In
naspek
hey there.. i really don't know how to start answering this question.. can someone please guide me to solve this question..

maths.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the question tells you to use Fourier transforms, you start by taking the FT of both sides of the differential equation...

gabbagabbahey said:
Since the question tells you to use Fourier transforms, you start by taking the FT of both sides of the differential equation...
still blur... :confused:

[tex]F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+a^2u\right]=F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}\right]+F\left[a^2u\right]=F[f(x)][/itex]Call the FT of [itex]f(x)[/itex], [itex]F[f(x)]=\tilde{f}(k)[/itex]. Call the FT of [itex]u(x)[/itex], [itex]F[u(x)]=\tilde{u}(k)[/itex]. Your textbook likely tells you how to express the Fourier transform of [itex]-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}[/itex] and [itex]a^2u(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\tilde{u}(k)[/itex]...do exactly that

i don't know how to proceed from here...

[tex]F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+a^2u\right]=F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}\right]+F\left[a^2u\right]=F[f(x)][/tex]

[tex]F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+a^2u\right]=F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}\right]+a^2F\left[u\right]=F[f(x)][/tex]

[tex]F\left[-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+a^2u\right]=F\left[-(-k^2\tilde{u}(k,y))\right]+a^2F\left[u\right]=F[f(x)][/tex]

When you take the Fourier transform of [itex]-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}[/itex] (That's what the [itex]F[\ldots][/itex] means) you get [itex]k^2F[/itex], or [itex]k^2\tilde{u}(k)[/itex].

This gives you an algebraic (instead of differential) equation you can solve for [itex]\tilde{u}[/itex]. To find [itex]u[/itex], you then take the inverse FT.

This is a very basic application of using FTs to solve DEs and I have a hard time believing that your textbook doesn't provide a similar example. You should really be in the habit of studying the relevant section of your text/notes before attempting homework problems that are based off of it.

i got the general solution already.. howeverr.. how am i going to prove...
mathss.jpg

gabbagabbahey said:
When you take the Fourier transform of [itex]-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}[/itex] (That's what the [itex]F[\ldots][/itex] means) you get [itex]k^2F[/itex], or [itex]k^2\tilde{u}(k)[/itex].

This gives you an algebraic (instead of differential) equation you can solve for [itex]\tilde{u}[/itex]. To find [itex]u[/itex], you then take the inverse FT.

This is a very basic application of using FTs to solve DEs and I have a hard time believing that your textbook doesn't provide a similar example. You should really be in the habit of studying the relevant section of your text/notes before attempting homework problems that are based off of it.

i've done the inverse..

F^-1[g^(k)] = g(x) = 1/ √2∏ ∫g^(k)e^ikx dk
........ = 1/ √2∏ ∫ 1/ (k^2 + a^2)e^ikx dk
......= √2∏ [(e^-a|x|) / 2a]

naspek said:
i've done the inverse..

F^-1[g^(k)] = g(x) = 1/ √2∏ ∫g^(k)e^ikx dk
........ = 1/ √2∏ ∫ 1/ (k^2 + a^2)e^ikx dk
......= √2∏ [(e^-a|x|) / 2a]

[tex]\tilde{u}(k)\neq\frac{1}{k^2+a^2}[/tex]

What happened to the FT of [itex]f(x)[/itex]?

accidently double post

Last edited:
mathsss.jpg

ok.. this is my full solution...
am i got it right until here?

That looks good, now use the composition rule to take the inverse FT of [tex]\hat{u}=\hat{g}\hat{f}[/itex]...

gabbagabbahey said:
That looks good, now use the composition rule to take the inverse FT of [tex]\hat{u}=\hat{g}\hat{f}[/itex]...

inverse both side...
i get..
mathssss.jpg

is that my general solution?

Does [itex]\frac{1}{2a}\int f(x) e^{-a|x|}dx[/itex] really represent the convolution of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:

gabbagabbahey said:
Does [itex]\frac{1}{2a}\int f(x) e^{-a|x|}dx[/itex] really represent the convolution of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

by convolution theorem,
F^−1{F*G} = f ·g
correct?
so, i just substitute it..?
kinda confused :confused:

ok.. i revised bout it already..
mathsssss.jpg

That's better!:smile:

However, that's just part of the general solution. You can also add any function, [itex]u_h[/itex], which satisfies the corresponding homogeneous ODE, [itex]-\frac{d^2 u_h}{dx^2}+a^2u_h=0[/itex], to the [itex]u(x)[/itex] you've found, and the result will still satisfy your ODE. So, you need to find that homogeneous solution and add it to what you've found above in order to obtain the true general solution.

gabbagabbahey said:
That's better!:smile:

However, that's just part of the general solution. You can also add any function, [itex]u_h[/itex], which satisfies the corresponding homogeneous ODE, [itex]-\frac{d^2 u_h}{dx^2}+a^2u_h=0[/itex], to the [itex]u(x)[/itex] you've found, and the result will still satisfy your ODE. So, you need to find that homogeneous solution and add it to what you've found above in order to obtain the true general solution.

should i solve the integration u(x) = 1/2a ∫ f(x - y) e^-a|y| dy?

First worry about finding the homogeneous part of the general solution. Solve the Homogeneous equation.

gabbagabbahey said:
First worry about finding the homogeneous part of the general solution. Solve the Homogeneous equation.

can u give me more clue.. i really can't get it..
which homogeneous equation i need to solve?

Re-read post #17

is this my general solution?

[itex]
y(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{a}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)dt
[/itex]

now.. to answer my question, u'' + a^2u = x^5
after solving everything, i manage to get this equation..

\(\displaystyle u(x)= ∫- ∞ to 0
1/2a(x-y)^{5}e^{ay}dy+ ∫0 to ∞
(x-y)^{5}e^{-ay}dy

should i solve it to get the general solution?
because, i need to do integration by parts 5 times to solve it..\)

naspek said:
is this my general solution?

[itex]
y(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{a}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)dt
[/itex]

[itex]u(x)=\frac{1}{2a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)dt[/itex] is part of your general solution. You are missing the homogeneous part.

Once you find the true general solution, you need only determine whether the integrals involved in exist/converge for your two [itex]f(x)[/itex]'s to know whether or not a solution exists.

this is my general solution?

[itex]
u(x)=c_1 e^{-ax}+c_2 e^{ax}+y(x)
[/itex]

Yup!:smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
Yup!:smile:
fuuhh! (just for a moment..)
so.. now i know how is my general equation looks like..

still got problem here..
i'm having difficulties to solve y(x) when i substitute f(x) = x^5

y(x)= ∫- ∞ to 0
1/2a(x-y)^{5}e^{ay}dy+
∫0 to ∞
(x-y)^{5}e^{-ay}dy

should i solved it?

Are you asked to solve it? Or are you only asked to show that a solution exists? If it's the latter option, just show that the integral converges.

gabbagabbahey said:
Are you asked to solve it? Or are you only asked to show that a solution exists? If it's the latter option, just show that the integral converges.

i try to solve it.. but.. its kinda to long for the solution..

the question ask me to find the general soltuion first..
then find when f(x) = x^5 & e^(x^2) exist or not,
if yes, i need to justify my answer..

how am i suppose to do right now? i kinda lost here..
right now, my general solution is...
[itex]
u(x)=c_1 e^{-ax}+c_2 e^{ax}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{a}\sqrt{\frac{\ pi}{a}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)dt
[/itex]

how am i going to check whether the u(x) f(x) = x^5 will converges or diverges?

Haven't you studied any convergence tests for improper integrals?

should i test for e^-ax or x^5 or e^(x^2) or
[itex]
y(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)dt
[/itex]
i'm sorry coz keep on asking.. but, i really don't know which one should i use to run the test.

You want to test to see if [itex]y(x)[/itex] converges for each of your two [itex]f(x)[/itex]'s. If the integral doesn't converge, then no solution exists.

gabbagabbahey said:
You want to test to see if [itex]y(x)[/itex] converges for each of your two [itex]f(x)[/itex]'s. If the integral doesn't converge, then no solution exists.
so.. i need to test the equations below?
[itex]
y(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(x-t)^{5}dt
[/itex]

and

[itex]
y(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}f(e^{(x-t)^{2}})dt
[/itex]

correct?

gabbagabbahey said:

by performing the improper integral test, when f(x) = x^5, the integral will converges
when f(x) = e^(x^2), the integral will diverges..

hence.. when f(x) = x^5, the is a solution, when f(x) = e^(x^2), there is no solution..
correct?

I just noticed that you have an error in your expression. Convolution tells you that [itex]y(x)=\frac{1}{2a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x-t)e^{-a|t|}dt[/itex], not [itex]\frac{1}{2a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x-t)e^{-a|x|}dt[/itex].