Fourier Transforms: Find Bounds, Dirac Delta, Euler's Identity

• Thread starter scigal89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
So by substituting it in the equation, you can find the energy levels of the system. In summary, the conversation discusses a unitary transformation of the exponential function using a Fourier transform. The 2 in front of the sine comes from Euler's identity when substituting the exponential for its components. The periodic bounds of integration for a Fourier transform are usually from negative infinity to infinity, but in this case, the Dirac delta function can be used as an approximation. The substitution of x' with the deBroglie wave length at the Fermi level has a physical meaning of calculating energy levels in a system.
scigal89
My teacher worked out the following and said it's a unitary transformation (how?) of exp(ikx). He said we're supposed to find the periodic bounds of integration - but I thought for Fourier transforms the bounds are negative infinity to infinity, so in this case shouldn't it just be the Dirac delta function? Also, how do you get the 2 in front of the sin? When I rewrite using Euler's identity, there is no 2.

[tex]
\int e^{ik(x-x')}dk=\frac{e^{ik(x-x')}}{i(x-x')}\approx \frac{2sin[k(x-x')]}{x-x'}
[/tex]

He then substituted x' with the deBroglie wave length at the Fermi level. I'm not sure what the physical meaning is...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The unitary transformation is a Fourier transform that has been applied to the exponential function. The 2 in front of the sine comes from Euler's identity, which states that $e^{i\theta}=cos \theta + i sin \theta$. When you substitute the exponential for its components, the 2 appears. The periodic bounds of integration for a Fourier transform are indeed negative infinity to infinity, though in this case you have a shifted exponential which means that you can use the Dirac delta function as an approximation for the integral. The physical meaning of substituting x' with the deBroglie wave length at the Fermi level is that it allows you to calculate the energy levels of a system. The deBroglie wave length is related to the momentum of a particle, which influences its energy.

FAQ: Fourier Transforms: Find Bounds, Dirac Delta, Euler's Identity

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its individual frequency components. It is used to analyze and process signals in various fields such as physics, engineering, and data analysis.

How do you find the bounds of a Fourier Transform?

The bounds of a Fourier Transform can be found by taking the inverse transform of the signal and finding the maximum and minimum values. Alternatively, for periodic signals, the bounds can be determined by the frequency of the signal.

What is the Dirac Delta function in relation to Fourier Transforms?

The Dirac Delta function is a mathematical concept used in Fourier Transforms to represent impulses or sudden changes in a signal. It is often used to simplify the analysis of signals with discontinuities or spikes.

What is Euler's Identity and how is it related to Fourier Transforms?

Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions cosine and sine with the exponential function. It is often used in Fourier Transforms to convert between the time and frequency domains.

How are Fourier Transforms used in real-world applications?

Fourier Transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, data analysis, and differential equations. They are used to analyze and process signals and data in order to extract useful information and make predictions.