Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FPGA-based computer adapting to being shot?

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1

Science Advisor

Haven't been logging on to the ol' PF as of late, but I'm hoping that one of you may remember more details about something I seem to recall.

Probably a good 5 to 8 years ago, I recall there being a video somewhere (this preceded YouTube!) demonstrating the robustness of an FPGA-based computer system (as I recall). The video had a picture of a guy taking potshots at a board with a rifle or a shotgun, and with the claim that the computer was continuing to chug along and (if I recall correctly) and with the display continuing completely uninterrupted.

Would anybody recall the name of the company or research group behind this, or better yet, the video itself? My Google-fu is too weak to come up with anything, so perhaps I'm merely re-imagining the printer scene from Office Space?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2
    So this question is 5 years old, but here goes...

You may be remembering something rather a lot older. In the 1980s, the computer manufacturer Tandem used to advertise a "bullet proof computer" because litreally every circuit occured twice, and the oprating system retained enough history on its I/O that it could restart all th e running processes from the "other" malfunctioning processor if it was damaged. They would actually shoot their computers at trade shows (apparently, I never witnessed it) but it wwas considered pretty cool stuff at the time. (I was working at a database software outfit at the time, and getting interprocess communication (for db synchronization) was particularly complex in that computer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted