Can fractions be simplified without guessing and checking?

• Thread starter Spiralshell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simplifying fractions and how to determine if a fraction can be simplified without using electronic means. The idea of finding a general way to determine the factors of any number is proposed, and Euclid's Algorithm and Lehmer's GCD Algorithm are mentioned as possible methods for simplifying fractions. The difficulty of factorizing large numbers and its implications for security is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a discussion of available resources and algorithms for simplifying fractions.
Spiralshell
So, I was thinking about how we would simplify say 2/4 -> 1/2. But without any memorization and guessing and checking how do we know if a fraction can be simplified? I was looking all over the internet and I can't seem to find anything.

I am especially curious when it comes to a large fraction say 99809 / 99907. I am not a math whiz or anything... I was just curious how we can mathematically determine whether or not a fraction can be simplified. That is without any electronic means...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, for instance, for 99809 / 99907 you might try things like highest common factor sieves?

Hmm, I may be in over my head, but I'll chime in anyways.

If you want to find a general, arbitrary way to determine if a fraction can be simplified, you (may) first need to determine a general way to find the factors of ANY number. A fraction simplifies when the numerator and denominator have a similar factor. So if you could, in general, reduce the numerator and denominator into products of factors, these similar factors would cancel out. I'm not entirely sure if this is possible or how you would go about doing it though.

Factorizing large numbers is, in fact, a difficult problem. We use this fact to encrypt, for example, credit card numbers. If you could do it in a short amount of time, our credit card systems would be much less secure.

But if you're looking at maybe just 3-5 digit numbers, there should be some algorithms out there that won't take too long. If you're looking at a 20+ digit numbers, then probably not.

Thanks for the responses.

@Matterwave I had no idea and that would explain why I can't find anything about it.

If you google "fraction simplification", you get about 4.8 million hits.

Fractions can be simplified only if the numerator and the denominator share common multiplicative factors.

For example, the utterly trivial [itex]\frac{2}{4}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{2}{2\times2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

where the 2 in the numerator cancels with one of the 2s in the denominator

1. What is fraction simplification?

Fraction simplification is the process of reducing a fraction to its simplest form. This means that the numerator and denominator are both divided by their greatest common factor (GCF) until they cannot be reduced any further.

2. Why is fraction simplification important?

Fraction simplification is important because it makes fractions easier to work with and understand. It can also help us compare and order fractions, as well as perform operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with fractions.

3. How do you simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF. Repeat this process until the fraction can no longer be reduced.

4. Can all fractions be simplified?

Yes, all fractions can be simplified. However, some fractions may already be in their simplest form, so they cannot be simplified any further.

5. Is it necessary to simplify fractions in everyday life?

Simplifying fractions may not be necessary in everyday life, but it can make working with fractions easier and more efficient. It is especially useful in situations where fractions need to be compared or operations need to be performed with fractions.