Text Fractions: How to Implement Fraction Symbols in Your Writing

• Thread starter PGaccount
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of text math symbols versus LaTeX for writing equations. The possibility of implementing a way to make fractions in text symbols is brought up, with the response that LaTeX is better for formatting complex formulas. The conversation also mentions missing functionality for fractions and provides a link for incorporating them in HTML. The conversation ends with a suggestion to learn some LaTeX for easier equation writing.
PGaccount
Some of us like to use the text math symbols rather than latex. Is it possible to implement a way to make fractions in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "text math symbols"?

You can always use "a/b". LaTeX just makes the formatting nicer, especially for more complex formulas. ##\frac a b##

yes, i mean like ∫ dlog z = 2πi

The only thing missing is a way to make fractions.

You can always write fractions like a/(b+c). No, it can't be done better, which is why things like LaTeX were invented. Not by us, as far as I am aware LaTeX is a de facto standard in math and physics.

Plus, fractions aren't the only thing that is missing.

Borek said:
Plus, fractions aren't the only thing that is missing.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/236975

Last edited:
PrashantGokaraju said:
Incorporating the functionality for these three things would really be nice.
We have 5 common fractions in the editor symbol toolbar

The link I posted shows how to make any fraction though

PrashantGokaraju said:
The link I posted shows how to make any fraction though
It's easier if you just learn a little LaTeX

Likes SammyS
Yeah I know. But yeah, I know how to use latex but, i guess for my personal taste I don't like how it looks. I mean who decided that all equations have to be italic, lol.

I especially don't like the slanted integral sign.

1. What are text fractions and why are they important?

Text fractions are symbols used to represent fractions in written text, such as ½ for one half or ⅔ for two thirds. They are important because they help to clarify and accurately represent numerical information in writing.

2. How do you type text fractions on a computer or mobile device?

To type text fractions on a computer, you can use the "Insert Symbol" function in word processing software or use keyboard shortcuts. On a mobile device, you can use the number keyboard to access text fractions or download a specialized keyboard app.

3. Can text fractions be used in all types of writing?

Yes, text fractions can be used in any type of writing, including academic papers, business documents, and personal writing. They are particularly useful in technical or scientific writing that involves a lot of numerical data.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for using text fractions in writing?

There are no strict rules for using text fractions, but it is important to be consistent in their usage. It is also recommended to use text fractions for larger fractions (such as ¾) and to spell out smaller fractions (such as one third) for readability.

5. Are there any alternatives to using text fractions in writing?

Yes, you can also use decimal numbers or words to represent fractions in writing. However, text fractions are preferred in technical or scientific writing as they are more precise and visually distinct from regular numbers.