Solving Fredholm Equation: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter huyhohoang
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a subroutine called fred2 which is used to solve integral equations. The speaker has already understood the numerical method to solve it and other subroutines, but is confused about the purpose of the array omk(i,j) in the code. After further discussion, it is determined that the array is used to save memory by repurposing it to hold the result of a matrix equation.
huyhohoang
Hi! I am now building a program to solve integral equation. I have understood the numerical method to solve it as well as others subroutines gauleg, ludcmp, lubksb but when I read this subroutine fred2 below, I don't know exactly the purpose of the author when putting the array omk(i,j) in the code. Can anyone give me some advice or instruction please?
Many thanks.
Fortran:
      SUBROUTINE fred2(n,a,b,t,f,w,g,ak)
      INTEGER n,NMAX
      REAL a,b,f(n),t(n),w(n),g,ak
      EXTERNAL ak,g
      PARAMETER (NMAX=200)
CU    USES ak,g,gauleg,lubksb,ludcmp
      INTEGER i,j,indx(NMAX)
      REAL d,omk(NMAX,NMAX)
      if(n.gt.NMAX) pause 'increase NMAX in fred2'
      call gauleg(a,b,t,w,n)
      do 12 i=1,n
        do 11 j=1,n
          if(i.eq.j)then
            omk(i,j)=1.
          else
            omk(i,j)=0.
          endif
          omk(i,j)=omk(i,j)-ak(t(i),t(j))*w(j)
11      continue
        f(i)=g(t(i))
12    continue
      call ludcmp(omk,n,NMAX,indx,d)
      call lubksb(omk,n,NMAX,indx,f)
      return
      END

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the code is supposed to do but the omk array is setup basically like an identity matrix

and the line omk(i,j)-ak(t(i),t(j))*w(j) looks like the matrix equation OMK = I - AK*W

where I and AK are matrices and W is a vector.

OMK starts out in the code as the identity matrix and then its reused to hold the result of I - AK*W

so I guess the author was trying to save space by repurposing the OMK matrix memory.

Thanks. Now I understand the purpose of the authors.

1. What is a Fredholm equation?

A Fredholm equation is a type of integral equation that involves an unknown function inside the integral. It is named after Swedish mathematician Ivar Fredholm who studied these equations in the early 20th century.

2. What are some applications of Fredholm equations?

Fredholm equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including signal processing, image reconstruction, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in finance and economics to model complex systems.

3. How do I solve a Fredholm equation?

There are various methods for solving Fredholm equations, including the method of successive approximations, the method of moments, and the Galerkin method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What is the significance of solving a Fredholm equation?

Solving a Fredholm equation can help us understand and model complex systems in a more simplified way. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as image and signal processing, where it can help us reconstruct images or signals from incomplete or noisy data.

5. Are there any resources available to help me solve Fredholm equations?

Yes, there are many resources available, including textbooks, online tutorials, and software packages. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field or join online communities where you can ask for advice and guidance on solving specific Fredholm equations.