Free body diagram, normal force, static friction

In summary: Ffriction up the slope :wink:(use the fact that m is the total mass = mass of the passengers + mass of the cart)Okay, so how about I replace F[SUB]pull[SUB] with F[SUB]push[SUB]? My thinking behind that is a force (push) holds the cart at the top of the track until it's time to let go...if the brake is on, then you're correct … there must be either a push or pull forcebut i think that when the question says "The ride is about to start", it means that the brake has just been taken off
cafe au lait

Homework Statement

There is a roller coaster cart with passengers sitting on the top of a 23 degree incline. The ride is about to start. The combined mass of the cart and passengers is 363kg.

a) What would the free body diagram look like?
b) How do you solve for normal force?
c) How do you solve for maximum value of static friction AND coefficient of static friction?

m=363kg
g=9.81m/s2
theta=23 degrees

Homework Equations

Fnormal=mg*cos(theta)
coefficient of static friction=tan(theta)
maximum value of static friction=coefficient of static friction*Fnormal

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Fg arrow pointing straight down, Fnormal arrow pointing perpendicular to the cart, Ffriction arrow on right or left side of cart and Fpull arrow on the other.

b) Fnormal=(363kg)(9.81m/s2)cos(23degrees)=3277.95N

c) coefficient of static friction=tan(23degrees)=0.42
maximum value of static friction=0.42(3277.95N)=1376.74N

I'm not very confident in my physics abilities so I was hoping someone could reassure me that I did this right. :) Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi cafe au lait! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a mu: µ and a degree: ° :wink:)
cafe au lait said:
a) Fg arrow pointing straight down, Fnormal arrow pointing perpendicular to the cart, Ffriction arrow on right or left side of cart and Fpull arrow on the other.

fine, except a roller-coaster doesn't have an Fpull … it coasts! :wink:
b) Fnormal=(363kg)(9.81m/s2)cos(23degrees)=3277.95N

fine … there's no acceleration in the normal direction, so FN = mg cos23°
c) coefficient of static friction=tan(23degrees)=0.42
maximum value of static friction=0.42(3277.95N)=1376.74N

i think you're not meant to do it that way, but by taking components along the slope …

use an equation like FN = mg cos23° to get Ffr, and then calculate µ from Ffr and FN :smile:

Hi thanks for your help!

A) Okay, so how about I replace Fpull with Fpush? My thinking behind that is a force (push) holds the cart at the top of the track until it's time to let go...

B) If there was acceleration, would that change the equation to FN=ma cos θ?

C) Ffr=(363kg)(9.81m/s2) cos23°=3277.95N

µ=Ffr/FN
µ=3277.95N/3277.95N=1

Uh that doesn't look right :(

hi cafe au lait! :smile:
cafe au lait said:
A) Okay, so how about I replace Fpull with Fpush? My thinking behind that is a force (push) holds the cart at the top of the track until it's time to let go...

if the brake is on, then you're correct … there must be either a push or pull force

but i think that when the question says "The ride is about to start", it means that the brake has just been taken off

(otherwise it'd say something like "The ride has not started yet")
B) If there was acceleration, would that change the equation to FN=ma cos θ?

that doesn't make sense … how can there be a normal acceleration if the rollercoaster stays on the track? :confused:
C) Ffr=(363kg)(9.81m/s2) cos23°=3277.95N

i said an equation like that, not that actual equation! :rolleyes:

Your free body diagram looks correct, with the forces of gravity, normal force, friction, and the pull of the roller coaster all included. Your calculations for the normal force, coefficient of static friction, and maximum value of static friction also seem correct. Keep in mind that these values may change as the roller coaster moves along the incline, so you may need to recalculate them at different points during the ride. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts of free body diagrams, normal force, and static friction. Great job!

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object, including their directions and magnitudes.

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the perpendicular force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. It is a reaction force that prevents an object from falling through a surface.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first identify the object and all the external forces acting on it. Then, you draw a dot to represent the object and use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are at rest. It is a type of friction that occurs when an object is not moving.

How do normal force and static friction relate?

The normal force and static friction are both reaction forces that act to prevent an object from moving. The normal force balances out the weight of an object, while static friction balances out any external forces that try to move the object.