Free Body Diagram of 3-Bar Linkage. Splitting the force?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 5K views
noodle951
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi, please see the attached file. I am trying to find the force as illustrated in the diagram.

Homework Equations


Picture1.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I've found the force for the 4deg beam and therefore the horizontal beam however I am unsure how to take into account the third angled beam.

Thank you in advanced for any help. It is much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As drawn that mechanism is just floating in space with all the links loose relative to one another .

Any applied forces will distort the mechanism and accelerate the whole thing away from the starting location .

You need to have some constraints somewhere .
 
Last edited:
Hi Nidum, does this explain it better? The long horizontal beam represents an actuator. The mechanism is to tip a container.

Picture2.png
 
That's better . We don't want our problems propelled into outer space .

The mechanism won't actually function with the 4 deg angle . Linkages like that typically need 25 deg + to work .

Do you want to alter the problem to be a bit more realistic ?
 
Last edited:
Nidum said:
That's better . We don't want our problems propelled into outer space .

The mechanism won't actually function with the 4 deg angle . Linkages like that typically need 25 deg + to work .

Do you want to alter the problem to be a bit more realistic ?

Alright, handy to know! :)

So if i change the 4 deg angle to 25, I get: 9/(sin(25)) = 21.3KN on the upper angled beam.
 
Let's see a proper free body diagram for the linkage with all the forces acting shown clearly ..
 
Pic4.png

This better? Not sure what other forces I need.
 
Left hand side of diagram ? Two horizontal forces + one vertical force ?
 
The horizontal component of F1? at either end of the beam? Then the vertical at the end of the first angled beam?
 
Reaction forces from container fixing pin and ground fixing pin . Four in total but you are given one so three to find .

The mechanism and force system is symmetric about c/l so not much work to do .
 
Last edited:
Nidum said:

Ah that makes more sense. How would I go about finding the X and Y components at the lower ground fixing pin? Would I find the force going along the lower angled beam (hypotenuse) and go from there?

Also, once I've found the X and Y components, how do I go about finding the force required "F ??".

Thanks
 
For the complete mechanism what can you say about the sum of externally applied forces in the X direction and in the Y direction ?
 
So the force required "F ??" Is taken from the the sum of the X components and the sum of the Y components for the container and linkage fixing pin?
 
Not quite - sum in X direction and sum in Y direction are separate calculations .