Truss Free Body Diagram & initial conditions

In summary, the conversation is about completing a free body diagram for a truss structure with a weight attached to a specific node. The diagram should show the layout of the structure, the location of applied forces and moments, and the location of reacting forces and moments. The internal forces, moments, and deflections will be determined after the analysis is completed. The diagram should not include any unknown values, as these will be determined during the analysis.
chuffy

Homework Statement

Complete a free body diagram for the truss structure with a weight attached to node 2 (this is known as 151N)
photo (23).JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my Free Body Diagram
The diagram is to display what is know at the start of the problem before working out the forces, stresses etc..

Obv at the end of the problem everything is know but this is for initial conditions

The part of the diagram I'm unsure of is Node 5 & Node 3. This Is what I'm thinking

I need to indicate the known / unknown for force & displacement for the nodes.

U1(5)=? F1(5) = 0
U2(5)=? F2(5)=-151.9U1(3) =? F1(3)=0
U2(3)= ? F2(3)=0

Bit confused for each node Force (F) & Displacement (U) in the x,y axis
I know you can only have 1 unknown for each axis

Attached my drawing
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
chuffy said:

Homework Statement

Complete a free body diagram for the truss structure with a weight attached to node 2 (this is known as 151N)View attachment 92737

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my Free Body Diagram
The diagram is to display what is know at the start of the problem before working out the forces, stresses etc..

Obv at the end of the problem everything is know but this is for initial conditions

The part of the diagram I'm unsure of is Node 5 & Node 3. This Is what I'm thinking

I need to indicate the known / unknown for force & displacement for the nodes.

U1(5)=? F1(5) = 0
U2(5)=? F2(5)=-151.9U1(3) =? F1(3)=0
U2(3)= ? F2(3)=0

Bit confused for each node Force (F) & Displacement (U) in the x,y axis
I know you can only have 1 unknown for each axis

Attached my drawing
thanks
You can't know the displacements of the internal nodes of the structure until you've solved for them. Otherwise, analysis would be pointless.

As far as your free body diagram is concerned, you must show the loads applied to the structure and the reaction forces (and moments, if necessary) at the supports. Just copying a diagrammatic representation of the supports is insufficient. Are nodes 1, 4, and 6 supposed to be fixed, pinned, or what?

Thoes nodes are pinned yes

How can I show reaction forces when it hadn't been analysed yet?

chuffy said:
Thoes nodes are pinned yes

How can I show reaction forces when it hadn't been analysed yet?
You know that pinned connections can support only forces.

A fully fixed connection can support a force and a moment. You can't show any magnitudes yet, because these haven't been determined.

At this stage of the analysis, the free-body diagram is just a sketch to show what you're looking for, in terms of reactions at the supports.

So I shouldn't put anything sown for Nodes 5 & 3 because both force & displacements are unknown & stating this is not correct as you can only have one unknown?

chuffy said:
So I shouldn't put anything sown for Nodes 5 & 3 because both force & displacements are unknown & stating this is not correct as you can only have one unknown?
A free body diagram needs to show:
1. The layout of the structure.
2. The location of any applied forces and moments.
3. The location of the reacting forces and moments which make the structure a free body.

All of the internal forces, moments, deflections, etc., and the reactions to the applied loads are determined after the analysis is completed. The applied forces and moments are necessarily known beforehand, so their magnitudes may be shown on the FBD.

It's not clear what you mean by 'you can have only one unknown'. In this particular structure, you have many unknowns which must be obtained from the analysis.

1. What is a truss free body diagram?

A truss free body diagram is a simplified representation of a truss structure, which is a type of engineering structure made up of straight members connected at joints. It shows the external forces acting on the truss, such as loads and reactions, and helps in analyzing the forces within the truss.

2. Why is a truss free body diagram important in structural analysis?

A truss free body diagram is important because it allows for the determination of internal forces within the truss members, which are necessary for evaluating the strength and stability of the structure. It also helps in identifying areas of stress concentration and potential failure points.

3. What are the initial conditions in a truss free body diagram?

The initial conditions in a truss free body diagram refer to the starting assumptions made in the analysis of the truss. These include assuming the truss is in equilibrium, all joints are pinned, and all members are connected by frictionless pins. These assumptions simplify the analysis and allow for the determination of internal forces.

4. How do you draw a truss free body diagram?

To draw a truss free body diagram, start by representing the truss as a series of connected straight lines. Then, identify all external forces acting on the truss, such as loads and reactions, and draw them as arrows pointing away from the truss. Finally, add labels and dimensions to the diagram to make it clear and easy to understand.

5. Can a truss free body diagram be used for any type of truss?

Yes, a truss free body diagram can be used for any type of truss, including simple, compound, and complex trusses. However, the complexity of the diagram may vary depending on the type of truss and the number of members and joints. It is important to correctly identify all external forces and follow the initial conditions to accurately analyze the truss.