Free body diagram of atwood machine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
Shukie
Messages
91
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I need to find the forces on this modified atwood machine:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/atwood.jpg/

The Attempt at a Solution



What I think:

- On mass M there are two forces, Mg and -T.
- On the mass above the spring there are two more forces, -2mg and T.
- On the mass below the spring there are also two forces, -mg and kx.

Is any of this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shukie said:
- On the mass above the spring there are two more forces, -2mg and T.
Careful: The only force of gravity on that mass is mg. (But there's a spring force on it.) So there are three forces acting on that mass.
 
Doc Al said:
Careful: The only force of gravity on that mass is mg. (But there's a spring force on it.) So there are three forces acting on that mass.

Ooh, you're right, I was thinking there might be a 2mg plus a kx after you mentioned the spring force, but I think it's only mg and kx.

I knew the spring was going to make it trickier than I had thought.
 
Are the forces on the mass above the spring then T and -mg and - kx?
 
Shukie said:
Are the forces on the mass above the spring then T and -mg and - kx?
Yes.