Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free electron dispersion relation, help?

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

Could anybody explain how the free electron dispersion relation would be modified by the presence of a periodic potential..? I'm struggling to get my head around it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2
    You will find figure 9.4 from Ashcroft and Mermin very useful in understanding how the dispersion of the free electron is modified in the presence of a weak periodic potential. In the so called repeated zone scheme (also sometimes called the extended zone scheme) the free electron dispersion in the periodic potential will look like a set of parabolas shifted by the reciprocal lattice vector along the k-axis. You can see that the parabolas will intersect a certain points. These are the points of degeneracy. According to Pauli’s exclusion principle you cannot have two electrons in the same state. As a result, this degeneracy will be split by the opening of a gap. Using degenerate perturbation theory you can show that the magnitude of this gap is twice the amplitude of the periodic potential.

Disclaimer: Please do not take what I have said here too literally. I strongly recommend you take a look at chapter 8 and 9 of Ashcroft and Mermin. The mathematical treatment of this problem presented in this book is, in fact, the simplest one you can use without getting into any trouble. The verbose description I gave above is so that you can develop an intuition for this phenomenon; I understand how overwhelming (and frustrating) it can be to get lost in the mathematical formalism.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    Ignore the part in the parenthesis; that's not true.

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook