Free Fall Definition: What Is It?

In summary, free fall is a term used in physics to describe the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity, without any other forces acting upon it. This means that the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared, regardless of its mass. Free fall can occur in a vacuum or in a fluid, and the speed at which the object falls increases as it falls towards the ground. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of objects in the absence of external forces.
MIA6
I am not so clear about the definition of 'free fall'. If an object is an example of free fall, then must its acceleration be 9.81m/s^2? For example, if a sky diver jumps from an airplane, because Earth has atmosphere, the rate of acceleration decreases due to air resistanc. so now the acceleration is not equal to the gravity that the Earth pulls it down, then is it still a free fall? Second example, a parachutist descending at a speed of 10.0m/s loses a shoe at an altitude of 50.0 m. My teacher said it was not a free fall because it didn't start at rest. Must a free fall motion start at rest? but the acceleration is still 9.8m/s^2. so even when it is not a free fall, its acceleration can still be equal to gravity that pulls it downward?
thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIA6 said:
I am not so clear about the definition of 'free fall'. If an object is an example of free fall, then must its acceleration be 9.81m/s^2? For example, if a sky diver jumps from an airplane, because Earth has atmosphere, the rate of acceleration decreases due to air resistanc. so now the acceleration is not equal to the gravity that the Earth pulls it down, then is it still a free fall? Second example, a parachutist descending at a speed of 10.0m/s loses a shoe at an altitude of 50.0 m. My teacher said it was not a free fall because it didn't start at rest. Must a free fall motion start at rest? but the acceleration is still 9.8m/s^2. so even when it is not a free fall, its acceleration can still be equal to gravity that pulls it downward?
thanks a lot.

There does not seem to be complete consensus.
First, there is a difference between the meaning of the term in the context of physics and in the context of everyday language. But even within the contact of physics, I have been surprised to note differences.

My personal definition (and I think the most used one) is that free fall implies that only the force of gravity is acting. And the initial velocity has nothing to do with it (I am surprised your prof said the shoe would not be in free fall! It makes no sense to me since what one defines as the initial time is arbitrary. If one notices for the first time an object when the object already has some velocity, should one say that the object is not in free fall only because it had some velocity when it was first observed?). And according t my definition, when there is air friction, we do not have the conditions for free fall.

On the other hand, in everyday language, free fall includes often air friction but no parachute open (so it's not entirely consistent as an open parachute only introduces more air friction, not a new type of force).

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
My personal definition (and I think the most used one) is that free fall implies that only the force of gravity is acting. And the initial velocity has nothing to do with it

I agree with both statements. It just doesn't seem practical to consider it free-fall if air resistance is involved. If you did, where do you draw the line when person A is dropping naked, person B has puffy clothes, person C has a parachute, and person D has a hang-glider?
As for the second part, a captured meteoroid that goes into orbit is considered to be in free-fall, but it certainly didn't start at rest relative to Earth.

btw, Is skydiving free fall? I don't think so because the air resistance is involved.

nrqed gave a good answer to that question...

MIA6 said:
Is skydiving free fall?
I thought the definition of skydiving was rather expensive fall :rolleyes:

mgb_phys said:
I thought the definition of skydiving was rather expensive fall :rolleyes:
Pardon, what does that mean?

Unless you're in the military, skydiving lessons are very expensive. You can learn how to fly a plane for the same price that it takes to learn how to jump out of one. (And the survival rate for failed pilots is a lot higher than that for failed parachutists.)

Danger said:
And the survival rate for failed pilots is a lot higher than that for failed parachutists.
That's what I always thought. I'm a scuba diver, if anything fails I generally float up - in skydiving if anything fails you don't 'float' down!

ok, but anyway, Is skydiving a free fall? Is the path of free fall a vertical line or a parabolic path?

Last edited:
MIA6 said:
ok, but anyway, Is skydiving a free fall? Is the path of free fall a vertical line or a parabolic path?
Reread nrqed's response to this question. For a short answer, using the typical physics definition: no, skydiving is not free fall because forces other than gravity act on the falling object.

If the freely falling object has a horizontal component of velocity, it's path would be parabolic; if not, vertical.

As stated, skydiving is not free-fall because of air resistance.
The path is irrelevant as long as it's toward a gravitational source. A satellite can be in a circular orbit or any number of elliptical paths. Something coming straight in from space would technically be on a straight trajectory, but it would appear curved from Earth because of our rotation. (Unless, of course, its path was curving around something else such as the sun.)

Last edited:

1. What is free fall and how is it defined?

Free fall is a term used in physics to describe the motion of an object under the influence of only gravity. It is defined as the motion of an object that is only affected by the force of gravity and is not subject to any other external forces.

2. How is free fall different from other types of motion?

Free fall is different from other types of motion because it is solely determined by the force of gravity and not any other external forces. This means that the acceleration of an object in free fall will always be constant, regardless of its mass or shape.

3. Is free fall the same as falling?

Yes, free fall and falling are often used interchangeably. Both terms describe the motion of an object under the influence of gravity without any other forces acting on it.

4. Can an object experience free fall on Earth?

Yes, an object can experience free fall on Earth. As long as the only force acting on the object is gravity, it is considered to be in free fall. This can happen, for example, when an object is dropped from a height and is not affected by air resistance.

5. How is free fall used in everyday life?

Free fall is used in everyday life to describe the motion of objects falling under the influence of gravity, such as a skydiver or a ball being dropped from a height. It is also used in physics to study the effects of gravity on objects and to make calculations related to free fall, such as determining the speed and distance of a falling object.