Free Fall Q: Find Where Balls Cross Paths

In summary, the two balls, one dropped from rest and one thrown upward at the same speed, cross paths at a distance of 24 meters from the top of the cliff. This can be determined by setting up simultaneous equations for the displacement of each ball and solving for the time at which their paths intersect. The equations should be x1(t) + x2(t) = 24, where x1(t) and x2(t) are the equations of motion for each ball, and x is just a placeholder for the displacement function.
tigerguy
Here's the question: A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a cliff that is 24 m high. From ground level, a second ball is thrown straight upward at the same instant that the first ball is dropped. The initial speed of teh second ball is exactly the same as that with which the first ball eventually hits the ground. In the absence of air resistance, the motions of the balls are just the reverse of each other. Determine how far below the top of the cliff the balls cross paths.

For the first ball, I said that the vo = 0, and by using the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ax, I found that the v = 21.7 m/s. I then applied this to the second ball, making its vo = 21.7 m/s. Here is where I became stuck.

I'm not sure how to find out where they cross paths - I figure I have to use simulataneous equations of some sort, but am not sure what variable I should solve for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to visualize the problem - how far did both of the balls travel until their paths crossed? This will give you an equation which you can solve for t and retrieve your solution.

I know that both of them will share the same t, but that still doesn't make any sense to me.

Of course they share the same time, but it's important that they 'swept' the length of 24m together. So, x1(t0) + x2(t0) = 24.

Ok, so I'm still pretty confused. I'm trying to work this out, and I've made this into a system of equations. Maybe you can take a look:

24-x = 1/2 (9.8)t^2 + 21.7t
x= 1/2(-21.7t) + 0

I know this is wrong, so I'm just confused where in my equations I'm wrong. Thanks again.

There is no x in your equation, only the time, t. Write down the equation of displacement for every ball, and then use the equation x1(t) + x2(t) = 24 (where x1(t) and x2(t) are the equations of motion for each ball, separately; one contains -g, and the other g). x mustn't confuse you; x is only the name of a function that depends on the time variable, t. We could have called it Z(t), or p(t), it really does not matter. x(t) is just a more conventional form.

Related to Free Fall Q: Find Where Balls Cross Paths

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object that is falling solely under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it. This means that the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is the position of an object in free fall determined?

The position of an object in free fall can be determined using the equation:
x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the motion of an object in free fall?

The motion of an object in free fall is affected by its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting upon it (such as air resistance).

4. How is the velocity of an object in free fall calculated?

The velocity of an object in free fall can be calculated using the equation:
v = v0 + at
where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

5. How do you find where two objects in free fall cross paths?

To find where two objects in free fall cross paths, you can set the equations for their positions equal to each other and solve for the time at which this occurs. This time can then be substituted back into either equation to find the position at which the objects cross paths.