1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall simple question, Answer check please

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    Free Fall simple question, Answer check ASAP please!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A flying squirrel falls from the top of a tree, without initial velocity. It travels the last 2 meters of its fall in 0.2s. What was the height of the tree?

2. Relevant equations

d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]= [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + 2ad

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I first concentrated on the last 2 meters of the squirrel's fall by using the equation d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I rearranged it to find the initial velocity: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d-(0.5)at^{2}}{t}[/itex]

For initial velocity, I got

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(2m)-(0.5)(-9.8m/s/s)(0.2)^{2}}{(0.2)}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=10.98m/s

2. Now I focused on the rest of the squirrel's fall before the last 2m.

Here I used the equation: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+2ad and rearranged it to find d: d=[itex]\frac{\upsilon_{f}^{2}-\upsilon_{i}^{2}}{2a}[/itex]

By substitution I got:

d=[itex]\frac{(10.98m/s)^{2}-(0m/s)^{2}}{2(-9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]= -6.15m as displacement.

The displacement here can also be seen as the height, therefore H=6.15m

I then added 6.15m to the last 2m to get H=8.15m

The problem however is that in the corrections provided by my professor, his answer is that the height of the tree is 6.15m

His work looks like this:
    [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex] (last 2m)= [itex]\frac{2m}{0.2s}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{(9.8m/s/s)(0.2s)}{2}[/itex]= 9.02m/s

Did he forget to square the time here?

And in the second part he then calculates: d=[itex]\frac{(9.02m/s)^{2}}{2(9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]+2m=6.15m

Can someone please check if I missed something, or if perhaps my prof's answer is incorrect?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Recheck that calculation. The value you've given corresponds to the impact speed at the ground, not the speed at 2m. Could be you've selected the result from a different calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted