1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free particle -> bound particle

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Free particle --> bound particle

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A free neutron meets a finite square well of depth [itex]V_{0}[/itex], and width 2a centered around origo.

However, the probability that the neutron emits a photon when it meets the potential well, and thus decreasing its energy is proportional to the integral [itex]\int^{t_{1}}_{t_{0}}\int^{a}_{-a} |\Psi(x,t)|^{2} dx dt[/itex]. Where [itex]t_{1}-t_{0}[/itex] is the time it takes the neutron to cross the well.

The question then is: "What energy is the most advantageous for the neutron to have, in order to be trapped by the potential well?"

3. The attempt at a solution
    The initial energy is [itex]E_{0}[/itex], the energy of the photon is [itex]E_{p}[/itex]

I'm guessing I have to find a value for [itex]E_{0}[/itex], so as to make the integral a large as possible.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Re: Free particle --> bound particle

Is there some form of ψ here that you are neglecting to tell us (like it is the wavefunction of the neutron)? If ψ is independent of E (or E0), then I don't see how it would make a difference (unless it's as silly as to realize to treat the neutron classically, so that t1-t0 depends inversely on the square root of E, which it may be, since it talks about "the time it takes the neutron to cross the well").

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook