Free Particle moving in one dimension problem

In summary: It is a very common integral in physics.I'm surprised that you have such a problem to solve if you haven't seen such an integral before. It is a Fourier transform. It is a very common integral in physics.
EmmaKate2009

Homework Statement

5) A free particle moving in one dimension is in the state

Ψ(x) = ∫ isin(ak)e(−(ak)2/2)e(ikx) dk

a) What values of momentum will not be found?
b) If the momentum of the particle in this state is measured, in which momentum
state is the particle most likely to be found?
c) if a=2.1 angstrom and the particle is an electron, what value of energy (in
eV) will measurement find in the state described in part b?

Homework Equations

I know tha p=ħk

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to complete the integration but this seems to go into very confusing and very difficult terms. I'm thinking that there is something simpler and I am just missing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what that integral represents?

DrClaude said:
Do you know what that integral represents?
the integral is from - infinity to + infinity, I just didn't know how to put it on the question on here

EmmaKate2009 said:
the integral is from - infinity to + infinity, I just didn't know how to put it on the question on here
I understand that.

My point is that the integral is a very specific kind. If you can figure out out what it is, you get the momentum representation of the wave function with no effort.

DrClaude said:
I understand that.

My point is that the integral is a very specific kind. If you can figure out out what it is, you get the momentum representation of the wave function with no effort.

I'm not sure I understand your statement. I know that a wave function can be either classified as sines and cosines or as exponentials, I haven't yet seen a wave function that includes a integral before.

EmmaKate2009 said:
I'm not sure I understand your statement. I know that a wave function can be either classified as sines and cosines or as exponentials, I haven't yet seen a wave function that includes a integral before.
I'm surprised that you have such a problem to solve if you haven't seen such an integral before. It is a Fourier transform.

What is a free particle moving in one dimension problem?

A free particle moving in one dimension problem is a theoretical problem in physics that involves studying the motion of a particle with no external forces acting on it, and only one dimension of space to move in. This allows for the particle's motion to be described using simple equations of motion.

What are the key assumptions made in a free particle moving in one dimension problem?

The key assumptions made in a free particle moving in one dimension problem are that there are no external forces acting on the particle, and that the motion takes place in one dimension. This allows for the particle's acceleration to be constant, and its motion to be described using simple equations such as the kinematic equations.

How is the motion of a free particle in one dimension described?

The motion of a free particle in one dimension is described using three equations: position as a function of time (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2), velocity as a function of time (v = v0 + at), and acceleration as a constant value (a = constant). These equations can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

What is the significance of studying free particle moving in one dimension problems?

Studying free particle moving in one dimension problems is significant because it allows for a better understanding of the basic principles of motion and the effects of forces on a particle. It also serves as a foundation for studying more complex problems involving multiple dimensions and non-constant forces.

Can the equations used for a free particle moving in one dimension be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the equations used for a free particle moving in one dimension can be applied to real-life situations, such as the motion of a ball rolling down a ramp with no friction. However, in most real-life situations, there are external forces acting on the particle, so the equations may need to be modified to account for these forces.