Free Will & Relativity: A Thought Experiment

In summary, Brian Greene's documentary is nonsense. It is impossible for the alien to see the final score while I am still sipping my beer with 14:59 left in the 3rd quarter. If 1 & 2 are possible, and leaving the multi-verse aside for the moment, Notre Dame 7 - USC 3 is the only possible outcome of the game.
CactusLand
I watched a documentary by Brian Greene, "The Illusion of Time" a few weeks ago, and a question has been bothering me ever since. In the documentary he explains that an alien, traveling toward the earth, would see into our future. So here is my question.

The second half of a college football game is just getting underway, the score is 0-0, so there is about 1.5 hours left till the game finishes. I am in the stands, watching with a friend and put my beer to my lips, at the same moment, from space, an alien traveling at a high speed towards the Earth peers out of his super duper telescope and looks at the scoreboard, and sees the last second tick off the clock, and the final score, Notre Dame 7 - USC 3.

Questions:

1. Is it possible for the alien to look, and I to sip, simultaneously?

2. If we can act simultaneously, could the alien theoretically see the final score while I was still sipping my beer with 14:59 left in the 3rd quarter?

3. If 1 & 2 are possible, and leaving the multi-verse aside for the moment, is Notre Dame 7 - USC 3 the only possible outcome of the game?

4. Well, seems obvious...where is free will in all of this, or is it simply an illusion?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
CactusLand said:
I watched a documentary by Brian Greene, "The Illusion of Time" a few weeks ago, and a question has been bothering me ever since. In the documentary he explains that an alien, traveling toward the earth, would see into our future.

That's essenially nonsense. Just Mr Greene trying to be clever.

If you would like to learn the basics of relativity you will need a little maths and some time and effort.

Is there some danger thinking about string theory for a good phycisist's mind or is it rather getting involved in writing popular-pseudoscience textbooks and TV-movie scripts? SCNR.

@CactusLand, as the previous two replies suggest, Brian Greene's popularizations are loathed and despised not especially well-regarded by those of us who value accurate layman-friendly explanations of this stuff. I don't think there is a better answer to your question than "Write off the hour you wasted on that documentary, spend some time trying to learn the real thing".

Special relativity is one of the most fun and fascinating pieces of human knowledge, and (unusual for much of modern physics) it can be understood with only high school math - the hard part is retraining your intuition to understand what the math is telling you. Get hold of a decent textbook, spend some time with it, come back here as soon as you get stuck and we will gladly talk you through the sticking points.

One of my personal favorites is Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics". You might also try "Relativity for poets", by our own @bcrowell, and others will have their suggestions. As a standalone exercise, you could google for "Einstein train simultaneity" to see Einstein's classic thought experiment demonstrating the relativity of simultaneity - if you can understand that, the rest of special relativity proceeds logically.

In the meantime, we can close this thread. Start a new one as soon as you need us.

Likes CalcNerd and PeroK

1. What is the concept of free will?

Free will refers to the belief that individuals have the ability to make choices and decisions independently from external factors or influences. It suggests that humans have control over their actions and can choose to act in a certain way, rather than being determined by predetermined factors.

2. How does relativity play a role in the concept of free will?

Relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, suggests that time and space are relative to the observer and can be influenced by factors such as velocity and gravity. This challenges the idea of a predetermined universe and raises questions about the true nature of free will.

3. Can free will exist in a universe governed by relativity?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that the uncertainty and randomness at the quantum level allows for free will to exist, while others suggest that the laws of physics ultimately determine our actions and choices.

4. What is the thought experiment of free will and relativity?

The thought experiment involves imagining a universe where everything is predetermined and there is no free will. However, within this universe, there is a machine that can manipulate time and space, allowing individuals to make choices that are not predetermined. This raises questions about the true nature of free will and whether it can truly exist in a universe governed by relativity.

5. What are the implications of this thought experiment for our understanding of free will?

The thought experiment challenges our traditional understanding of free will and raises questions about the extent to which our choices are influenced by external factors and predetermined events. It also highlights the complexity of the concept of free will and the need for further exploration and understanding in this area.