Freebody Diagram for Crate Lifted with Steel Cable at Decreasing Speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter homevolend
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagram
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
homevolend
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A crate is being lifted by a steel cable at a decreasing speeed. Label everything in the diagram.


The Attempt at a Solution




[PLAIN]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5764/drawk.png

This is what I did but it is wrong, how would I draw it to show the decreasing speed and also the lifted part?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the crate (the lifted part) is being lifted up...there's nothing going on in the horizontal direction, so those horizontal forces don't belong there. The vertical ones are OK, although usually the force you have labeled FN is usually called FT or just T, because it is a tension force pulling away from the crate. That's all you need to do in a free body diagram. Taking into account the decreasing speed would be asked for as a 'part b' question.
 
Ok thanks, I understand. Since there is no labeled horizontal forces I don't need the Fa and Ff.

But since its being lifted isn't there an Fa or is it just FT.
 
homevolend said:
Ok thanks, I understand. Since there is no labeled horizontal forces I don't need the Fa and Ff.

But since its being lifted isn't there an Fa or is it just FT.
That is right, the applied force is the tension force, in this problem. Don't put in 2 forces at the top, just the one. Here's a tip...when you draw free body diagrams, you note and label the forces acting on the object, and their direction. There are basically 2 general types of forces : action at a distance forces (like gravity forces (weight) or magnetic forces); and so called 'contact' forces, where there has to be contact with the object in order for there to be a force. Contact forces include friction forces, tension forces, spring forces, normal forces, applied pushing or pulling forces, etc.