'Freedom fries' lawmaker's U-turn

• News
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, Republican Representative Walter Jones is introducing legislation to demand a timetable for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, despite previously campaigning for French fries to be renamed "freedom fries" in protest of France's opposition to the war. He now believes that the reasoning for going to war (weapons of mass destruction and the Iraqis' ability to make a nuclear weapon) has been proven false.
fourier jr
I'm surprised I didn't notice this at the time (2005):

A pro-Iraq war US congressman who campaigned for French fries to be renamed "freedom fries" is now calling for US troops to return home from Iraq.

Republican Representative Walter Jones is to introduce legislation demanding a timetable for the withdrawal.

The renaming of fries in Capitol Hill's cafeterias in March 2003 expressed disapproval among some US lawmakers with France's opposition to the war.

French toast was also re-branded "freedom toast".

"I voted for the resolution to commit the troops, and I feel that we've done about as much as we can do," Mr Jones said on US network ABC.

"I just feel that the reason of going in for weapons of mass destruction, the ability of the Iraqis to make a nuclear weapon, that's all been proven that it was never there."
:rofl:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4086380.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
I do know if you try and process the paperwork for a Carnet (a customs document) in customs at Newark airport and pronounce it (correctly) as Carnay - they look at you like they don't know what you are talking about. This could be anti-French sentiment or just stupidity.

I find it interesting that the renaming of fries and toast in 2003 was a symbolic gesture of support for the Iraq war, but now, in 2005, the same lawmaker who championed this gesture is calling for the withdrawal of troops. It shows how quickly opinions and beliefs can change, especially when faced with new evidence. It also highlights the importance of constantly re-evaluating and adapting our actions and decisions based on new information. In this case, the initial justification for the war (weapons of mass destruction) has been disproven, leading to a change in stance. As scientists, it is our responsibility to base our decisions and actions on evidence and facts, rather than personal or political beliefs. This situation serves as a reminder to always remain open-minded and willing to change our perspectives when presented with new information.

What is the context of the term "Freedom fries" lawmaker's U-turn?

The term "Freedom fries" lawmaker's U-turn refers to a decision made by former Congressman Bob Ney in 2003 to rename French fries to "Freedom fries" in response to France's opposition to the US invasion of Iraq.

Why did Bob Ney make this decision?

Bob Ney made this decision as a form of protest against France's lack of support for the US invasion of Iraq. He believed that renaming French fries to "Freedom fries" would show support for the US troops and criticize France's stance.

Did this decision have any impact?

The decision to rename French fries to "Freedom fries" received widespread media attention and sparked both support and criticism. However, it had no real impact on US-France relations or the war in Iraq.

Was this decision reversed?

Yes, in 2006, Bob Ney publicly apologized for his decision and acknowledged that it was a mistake. He also noted that the term "Freedom fries" was no longer used in the House of Representatives cafeteria.

What is the significance of this decision in the scientific community?

This decision has no direct significance in the scientific community. However, it highlights the influence of political tensions on everyday language and the potential for words to be used as a form of protest or propaganda.