Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freedom

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    I believe I have posted this question before, but it was never discussed much. So, here it is again:

An attempt to define freedom...

A simple question can get us started:
    1) Is a man in a cage free, if he has no wish to leave that cage?

It seems to me there are two possible answers:
    • A) No. In which case we determine freedom based on the physical.
    • B) Yes. In which case freedom is in the mind.
    No answers itself.

In the case of B, move forward...

However, if "yes", that gives us one more question:
    2) Is the man in the cage aware of a world beyond his cage?

If the man is aware of all the world beyond his cage, and yet chooses to remain in his cage, is he:
    • A) Still held captive by fears and such? (which takes us back to 1)
    • B) Free, because he has veiwed all options and made a choice?
    In the case of B, he is free.

However, if the man is not aware of the world beynd his cage, that gives rise to a third question:
    3) Is ignorance bliss?
    • A) Ignorance of other options means no freedom.
    • B) Ignorance of other options does not mean no freedom.

Would anyone care to create further logical constructs, or answer the final two questions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2
    Adam, I find a bit of fault with your deduction. If I may...

It doesn't appear possible that a man in a cage is free, regardless of whether he wishes to be there or not. After all, if he were to change his mind, he would not be able to escape. Wanting to be there is simply accepting your lack of freedom.

4. Apr 27, 2004 #3
    yes, mentat, i agree with you, but you know, there are more horizonts than bars of a cage, and we, supposedly, are sastified with the definition of "freedom" as being able to go freely anywhere in our world (which we also can't escape, as the cage mentioned above), an astronaut would have perhaps a different definition.

One who has limitless imagination, is a permanent captive.

5. Apr 27, 2004 #4
    or, a someone put it even nicer; (i'll try to translate doh, so it's approximate);

Life a jail, Time a merciful executioner...

6. Apr 27, 2004 #5
    The chance that he would not be able to escape is always there. And the chance that he will is too. I think he is free, supposing he has the power to allow himself out of the cage.
    I believe there is nothing in the anology presented by Adam that prohibits whether or not this man can get out of the cage. He is simply in the cage by his own choice. If he went in by his own choice, then surely he can let himself out (unless there is a certain special circumstance that prohibits this from happening). He does not know if a something will prohibit is exiting hte cage at his own wish [in the future]. Therefore, if he does not know if something in the future will in fact deter his attempt to leave the cage, (and of course, the man is aware this is a POSSIBILITY as is his freedom of exiting, which from his fram of reference is a higher probablity) then is he free? I don't think so, but I'd like to know. i.e, I request your analysis.

7. Apr 27, 2004 #6
    Grand Inquisitor...

8. Apr 29, 2004 #7

xck

the mind is the disease

Freedom = More Fed

In my world translated, I saw Government - USA.

Are Americans free? We say we are. Do you really want to pay taxes? Do you want your son/daughter/friend/fellow American overseas fighting right now? I do not want my child going when he/she is of age.

What's that? That's the PRICE of freedom? How free are we Americans?

"Good day sun shine$" almost the beatles

9. Apr 29, 2004 #8
    There are laws in every situation. Compared to several other nations, USA (America may refer to N. America and S. America, BTW) has a lot of freedom. Yes, we are free. But like everything else we have limits, so that the society will be stable, not chaotic.

10. Apr 30, 2004 #9
    Freedom is all in the mind. If freedom was based on physical then there is no such thing as freedom.

11. Apr 30, 2004 #10
    Can a man be free if he's in a cage and wants out. But because he can't - he then forces his mind to change / convinces himself that he wants to be there i.e. accepts the situation and changes himself instead of his surroundings?

12. Apr 30, 2004 #11
    That is pre-supposing that the mind is a physical entity. Is it? I believe it is a product of physical factors. (I.e. chemical reactions [in the brain/mind] etc.)

13. Apr 30, 2004 #12
    That deduction, as far as I can see is a predilection man cannot get out. The anology according to Adam does not say that the man cannot get out of the cage. Just that he went in. Just because he is in a cage does not directly say that he is unable to exit the premises.

14. Apr 30, 2004 #13
    I stand corrected and rephrase.

Freedom is all internal. If freedom was based on the external then there is no such thing as freedom.

15. Apr 30, 2004 #14
    Only the man's body is confined his mind is still free to roam where it will. "Iron bars do not a prison make."
    Are you really just a physical body or do you live in your mind? Which is the real you?
    Do you have a spirit that can freely roam where and when it pleases or are you trapped in your body forever chained to only the physical reality of your body and the circumstances that it is in. Are we not then prisoners of our bodies and prisoners in our class rooms, office, work area or even bedrooms?
    If you are a prisoner of your physical body then you are a prisoner always wherever you go or whatever you do.
    Only our minds can be or are really free. Our minds are also the only contact that we have with any reality except possibly a spiritual reality. It is our perceptions of our reality that makes us prisoners or makes us free.

16. Apr 30, 2004 #15
    Internal ideas are influenced by external ideas. Does a new born baby have any concept of freedom? No, because he/she has not experienced what contrasts freedom and its opposite, being ensnared. 'Experience' is a product of the interpretation of external occurances by the mind.

17. Apr 30, 2004 #16
    Imagine being trapped, in a box we call a cage. You just sit there waiting for a very extended period of time, to get out. Like a long plane flight, (say one from the USA to somewhere like India, which I believe takes 18+ hours to complete, round trip on one flight) for hours and hours. You are bound to get extremely impatient. I have experienced it myself, and I am sure you have.
    Basically, you just want to leave this "cage" (a metaphor for the airplane), so you can run free somewhere else, not wait to be let out.

Your mind can be "free", as you say, but the full sensation of freedom is not attained without interaction with the physical world.

Your mind/brain controls the body, which is you. The mind and body are not seperate. "you" is a reference to the mind/brain.

Whoa there! A prisoner in your own body?? :eek:
    The spirit, if you'd like to call it that, is you. It is impermeable. If the spirit left the body, then you'd be dead. (ah, I imply an after life here! :eek: no, rather, when I say the aforementioned, I refer to spirit when spirit=consciousness) Unless you simply dispise your body and wish to die, I don't think you are a prisoner. You can freely roam with your own body.
    (Even though there are limits). Imprisonment is being put somewhere you have no wish to be (this could be mentally, or physically) and being forced to stay there. Classrooms, office, work, bedrooms...are not imprisonments unless you don't want to be there, and are being forced to stay there.

Brilliantly put. :smile:

18. May 1, 2004 #17
    ok

Yeah ... just a little question on the side, maybe I should have waited before the original question had been answered a bit more :D

19. May 1, 2004 #18
    Not big on english but i agree with this quote.

20. May 1, 2004 #19
    Read our own post here. Can you see that everything you say is about waiting, wanting and attitude. All subjective feelings. None of this is about being physically imprisoned. It is all about wanting that which cannot be had.
    Accepting what is and being content with what we have is all that is required to be free. Again it is attitude and acceptance, all subjective and nothing physical.

Again sensations are perceptions of our sensory input. There is no sensation of freedom. There is nothing that says that the prisoner cannot interact with the physical world of his cage. It is the desire to be elsewhere and do other things that makes him a prisoner not the cage.

I do not wholly accept the above. I am not my body. I am my mind and/or spirit nor am I convince that they cannot be separated but that is another topic.

Being a prisoner of your own body is simply just a way of say that you are body oriented or dominated and nothing else, where your sense of being resides.

Thanks, I was kinda proud of it myself. :biggrin:

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  21. May 1, 2004 #20
    Which is natural human nature. It is a fact that you will get agravated after waiting so much. You will want change.

Well, my point is, you'll eventually get tired of being confined in a cage. Eventually.
    But I believe I am beginning to see your point. For someone with intense mental capabilities (like a Taoist priest--they are AMAZING when it comes to physical capabilities) that control your body's sensations, it is relatively easy to [overall] sit in a cage for years.

the other stuff, about being a prisoner in your body and the mind and body being seperate entities is not my line of expertise. Anything I say concerning that is not going to be accurate. But I'll give it some thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?