How can I incorporate English into my French physics and chemistry lessons?

• Thread starter hicamboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, a French teacher who normally teaches Physics and Chemistry in French is looking for ways to incorporate English into their lessons, particularly for students preparing for the "European Baccalaureat." They have tried using an English textbook, but it did not align with their syllabus. Suggestions are made, such as finding a French-English dictionary or using Wikipedia to translate notes and phrases. Other teachers share their experiences with teaching science in English and offer encouragement.
hicamboy
Hi every body
I'm a french teacher, teaching physics and chemistry in a french middleschool

I'm trying to teach sometimes physics and chemistry into english but I would like some help from teachers to find some practicles and investigations .
and sometimes to translate some words .

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome,
So you normally teach Physics and chemistry in French, but would like to
do the lesson in English?
You might try and find your current textbook published in English, this would give you
a lot of English based examples of what you are already familiar teaching.
If a English version is not available, look for a similar level textbook that is published
in both languages, and get both copies.
Much of the science terminology is close, as the root is Latin.

HI. As you understood I teach in french but in order to practice to pass the "european baccalaureat" I would like to introduce physics through english to my pupils.

My textbook doesn't have any english version and I don't think there is one which is both in french and english. ( French aren't very keen on foreign languages)
I went to Ireland and bought a book for middleschool but their syllabuses aren't the same so I don't find what I really want.

If tou have some book names that I can find on ebay or amazon, it would be great

I tried in french with no sucess .
Maybe a little too expensive

I found this which is quite good to begin

proz

Doing courses in English is a nice idea. My school did biology in English. I don't think that it is that hard after you have done it once or twice as a teacher, and getting the students to speak English should help them a lot. Of course we had the choice to go to a class with normal biology, and teachers and students were already fairly good at English.

welcome to pf!

hi hicamboy! welcome to pf! :smile:

the english version of wikipedia should give you all the words and phrases you need :wink:

Use http://tradukka.com/translate to translate your notes (or literally your working textbook if you own an electronic copy) in English. Should cover the relatively non-technical language of elementary/high-school physics and obviously the 'normal' vocabulary. This translator knows English grammar perhaps at a higher level than some of our native speaking forum members. :)

tiny-tim said:
the english version of wikipedia should give you all the words and phrases you need :wink:

This may have been intended as a joke, but I have found that Wikipedia can be an excellent source for this purpose. If you go to the French wikipedia page for a particular word or concept, it is connected to the English equivalent. Just go to the French page and click "English" under the menu "Autres langues" on the left.

For example, this page:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertie
is linked to the English version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

And this page:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantité_de_mouvement
is linked to this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

You can find translations for single words and phrases by looking at the titles ("Inertie"->"Inertia", "Quantité de mouvement"->"Momentum"), and you can get more context by reading through the English article and comparing it to the French article. Most of the topics for a Middle school physics course should be covered, so you if you already have a physics lesson in French, you may be able to simply convert it to English.

Bon courage!

0xDEADBEEF said:
Doing courses in English is a nice idea. My school did biology in English. I don't think that it is that hard after you have done it once or twice as a teacher, and getting the students to speak English should help them a lot. Of course we had the choice to go to a class with normal biology, and teachers and students were already fairly good at English.

Are you french? or I guess non american ?
In our school it's optionnal too and pupils have one more hour of english every weeks.

1. What kind of help does the French teacher need?

The French teacher may need help with lesson planning, classroom management, or finding resources for teaching French.

2. What are the qualifications of the French teacher?

The qualifications of a French teacher may vary, but typically they should have a degree in French language or education, as well as experience teaching French.

3. Is the French teacher looking for a tutor for their students?

It is possible that the French teacher may be looking for a tutor for their students, but it is best to clarify with the teacher directly.

4. Can anyone help the French teacher or do they need to have specific skills?

Anyone can offer to help the French teacher, but it may be most helpful if the person has experience in teaching French or is fluent in the language.

5. How can I help the French teacher?

You can help the French teacher by offering to assist with lesson planning, classroom management, or providing resources for teaching French. You can also offer to tutor students or provide language support in the classroom.